- 2016 Elections
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
East Lyme - Dean Beebe's RBI single in the bottom of the ninth inning gave East Lyme High School a wild 3-2 high school baseball victory over previously unbeaten Plainfield on Monday.
The Panthers (15-1), who moved into a tie for first place with Montville in the New Haven Register's Top 10 state poll earlier in the day, took a 2-0 lead into the bottom of the seventh when the Vikings (10-7) forced extra innings on a two-run single by Austin Toback.
C.J. Leindecker went the distance for East Lyme, scattering five hits while striking out 16.
In other games:
• Chance Gendron's one-out RBI double tied the game in the bottom of the sixth and he scored the go-ahead run on a two-out error as Norwich Free Academy rallied to beat Old Lyme, 5-4 Gendron had two doubles, two runs and two RBI for NFA (10-8) and Brandon Drabinski had two hits, including a double, and scored twice. Craig Maerkle earned the win in relief. Dave Peck had two hits, a run and an RBI, Ross Golebiewski had two hits, including a double, and an RBI, and Dan Chapman had two hits and scored for Old Lyme (7-11).
• Bryce Bedard's game-winning two-run double in the bottom of the seventh inning completed a dramatic rally and gave Norwich Tech an 8-7 victory over Bacon Academy. The Warriors (12-6) scored all eight runs in their final at-bat after Bacon (11-5) had scored seven runs in the top of the sixth. Mason Thibodeau added a two-run single in the seventh for Norwich Tech, while Nick Smith had an RBI single.
• Henry Hunt had seven goals and five assists to lead Old Lyme to its 18-5 win over Haddam-Killingworth in the Shoreline Conference. Joab Hunt had three goals and three assists for Old Lyme (12-2) and Ian Humphreys added two goals and three assists. Also, Aston Bohan had two goals and an assist.
• Allie Buckley and Sloane Sweitzer combined for 13 goals and 12 assists in Old Lyme's 24-17 win over Haddam-Killingworth in the Shoreline Conference. Buckley had six goals and nine assists while Sweitzer added seven goals and three assists for the Wildcats (11-2). Sydney Cowell added five goals and Catie Quaratella two.
• Kaelyn Oliver scored five times as Canton beat St. Bernard 15-9. Shannon Amarello had three goals and an assist for the Saints (7-6-1) and Danielle Guth had two goals and an assist. Also, Kara Bassett scored twice.
• Grasso Tech's Trevor Hutchinson and Dalton Hitchok of Windham Tech tied for medalist honors (41) in a Constitution State Conference tri-match. Ellis Tech won (187 points), followed by Windham Tech (200) and Grasso (223). Ryan Pendleton shot a 54 for Grasso.
• Stonington's Sam Ognisty shot a 39 on the Red Course at Elmridge Golf Course to lead Stonington over New London 7-0 in the ECC Medium Division. Jack Ognisty and Joel Nelson each added 41s for Stonington (11-3, 5-2), while Jordan Rogers shot a 46 to lead New London (0-11, 0-9).
• Old Lyme defeated Old Saybrook and East Hampton in a Shoreline Conference match at Black Hall Club. The Wildcats had a medal total of 189, five strokes better than Old Saybrook (194). East Hampton finished at 206. Jake Tiffany lead Old Lyme with a 44 while Will Roberts added a 46.