H.S. lacrosse: East Lyme boys win ECC Large Division
East Lyme — Griffin Woods had four goals as the East Lyme High School boys' lacrosse team beat Woodstock Academy 10-1 Tuesday to successfully defend its Eastern Connecticut Conference Large Division title.
Mark Chmielewski and Chris Apicelli each scored twice for the Vikings (11-3, 7-0).
"The guys have worked hard and we've been progressing as the year has gone on and moving forward," East Lyme coach Gary Wight said. "We're definitely coming together at the right time. My goal is to always be playing the best lacrosse in June and, fortunately, we seem to be doing that at the right time."
In other games:
• Adam Reinhold won the overtime faceoff, ran cleanly and split two defenders before bouncing a shot into the net and giving Fitch a 12-11 victory over Bacon Academy in the ECC Large Division. Andrew Singer led the Falcons (9-5, 5-2) with three goals and two assists and Grayson Reuling added three goals and one assist.
• Michael Beltran scored seven times as Waterford downed Montville 14-1 in the ECC Small. Tony Vocalina had three goals for the Lancers (5-11, 4-4) and Bray Griffith-Potter scored twice. Pat Caron scored for Montville (0-12, 0-6).
• Zach Poirier had three goals and three assists and Will Iorio scored five times as Stonington trounced St. Bernard/Wheeler 17-0 in an ECC Small game. Jack Riordan had four goals for the Bears (8-6, 5-1) and David Bibeau added two goals and an assist. St. Bernard is 2-12, 1-6.
• Eddie Hill scored five goals to lead Somers past Ledyard 15-8. Alec Powell and Nick Lauer each had two goals and one assist for the Colonels (11-4) while Jake Christiensen scored twice, Nick LoBianco had one goal and two assists and goalie Paul Bossardet made 13 saves.
• Mckenzie Griffith-Potter had six goals and one assist to lead Waterford past Montville 17-7 in the ECC Small Division.
Julia Peay added four goals and two assists for the Lancers (8-6, 6-3) while Lexi Lewis added two goals and one assist and Sarah Lamothe scored twice. Katherine Namin had two goals for Montville (4-10, 2-7) and Gabby Iaconiello scored two more.
• East Lyme outscored Hand in the second half, but fell 15-13. Gabby Fiengo scored four goals for East Lyme (9-5), Kendall Roberts had four goals and two assists, Belle Kenny three goals and Caroline Gonsalves three assists. Hand is 11-3.
• Samantha Seymour scored two goals as Bacon defeated Fitch 15-14 in overtime. Michelina Pinto had five goals and three assists to lead Fitch (6-8-1, 3-5), which battled back from a 9-5 halftime deficit to force OT, while Susannah Lucey added three goals and two assists, Jackie Kokomoor scored three goals and Bailey Mahler had two.
• Maddie Tilton scored four goals and Ellie Phetteplace had three goals and two assists to help lead Ledyard to a 15-6 victory over Wheeler in the ECC Small Division. Brooke Scahill and Leslie Dunn added two goals and one assist apiece for the Colonels (10-5, 7-2) and Liz Austin and Cassidy Jenkins also scored two goals apiece. Jess Muller scored four goals for Wheeler (0-13, 0-9) and Zoe Robert had two.
Ledyard lost to Somers 19-10 on Monday night despite three goals apiece from Austin, Phetteplace and Scahill. Phetteplace also had an assist and goalie Gretchen Montgomery stopped 14 shots.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES