H.S. roundup: Unbeaten Fitch softball team beats Wheeler 8-2
Groton — Caroline Taber pitched a one-hitter with 11 strikeouts as the unbeaten Fitch High School softball team scored seven times in the fourth inning to defeat Wheeler 8-2 in a matchup of Eastern Connecticut Conference divisional leaders on Tuesday.
Fitch (18-0), in first place in the Large Division, is ranked fifth in the New Haven Register Top 10 poll. Wheeler (10-3), which had a six-game win streak snapped, is on top of the Small Division.
Taber had two hits, including a double, with two runs and two RBI while Jayden Dellaporta went 3-for-4 with a run and an RBI. Also, Jackie Lewis had two hits, two RBI and a run.
Samantha Muller singled and scored for Wheeler and Raven Houck doubled.
In other games:
• Erica Hill had a big afternoon in leading East Lyme to an 8-2 victory over Plainfield. Hill (8-1) was the winning pitcher for the Vikings (14-3), scattering six hits. She also had two doubles and drove in five runs. Samantha Horner added two doubles for East Lyme while Kirsten McGinty and Hannah Burke added two hits apiece.
• Claire Hurley and Elaina Sullivan each had three hits, three runs scored and three RBI to help lead Waterford past Rockville 20-3 in a game shortened to six innings due to the mercy rule. Sara Buscetto and Jodi Weiss each added three hits and three runs for the Lancers (13-5), who pounded out 21 hits, while Ally Pezzolesi, Megan Elphick, Sarah Pacheco and Karena Bushey each had two hits.
• Ali Scott went 3-for-3 with two RBI for Old Lyme in a 19-7 loss to East Hampton in the Shoreline Conference. Kaylin Riggs went 3-for-3, including a triple, with an RBI for Old Lyme and Kyra Teixeira went 3-for-3.
• After losing to Ellis Tech 16-4 earlier in the day, Norwich Tech bounced back to beat Putnam 9-8 to qualify for the Constitution State Conference tournament. Casey Gervais singled in the winning run as the Warriors (12-6) rallied for two runs in the bottom of the seventh while Kerrie Bellerose and Abbey Pater had three hits apiece.
• Hartford University beat Grasso Tech 22-2 in a five-inning CSC game. Sam Martinez went 2-for-3 with a run and a stolen base for Grasso.
• Dinkar Ahuja (41) earned medalist honors for East Lyme as it beat Wheeler 7-0. Zach Kosakowski shot a 42 for East Lyme (10-0-1). Ben Reed shot a 46 for Montville (10-6, 8-1 ECC Small), which beat Wheeler 5.5-1.5. Michael Anderson shot a 48 for the Lions (4-8, 4-4).
• Old Lyme edged Old Saybrook 190-191 in a Shoreline Conference match at Fenwick Golf Course. Jake Tiffany earned medalist honors for the Wildcats with a 42 and Graham Aird was close behind at 43.
• Tyler Scheiblich shot a low-round 38 as Bacon Academy beat Stonington 5.5-1.5 in an ECC Medium match. Sam Ognisty shot a 40 and Jack Ognisty a 41 for Stonington (11-4, 5-3).
• Griswold's Dimaggio Comfort shot a low-round 50 as the Wolverines beat St. Bernard 6-1 in an ECC Small match. Seamus Fox shot a 54 for St. Bernard (2-11, 2-8).
• Trevor Hutchinson shot a 38 to earn medalist honors at Great Neck Country Club and lead Grasso Tech to a 6-1 victory over New London. Sam Denard added a 54 to win his match for the Eagles, while Jordan Rogers shot a low of 46 for New London (0-11) and Tim Glavan (59) was the lone winner.
• Manchester defeated Norwich Free Academy 196-238. NFA (7-6) was led by Katie Strickland, who shot a 49 at Manchester Country Club, and Kim Postler added a 57.
• Waterford completed a perfect season in the ECC Medium Division with a 7-0 win over New London. Alan Luner, Willie Dong, Shashwat Kala and Benny Dong won singles matches for the Lancers (15-1, 8-0) and the doubles teams of Adam Howard-Samson Herbert, Matthew Hausmann-Mike Castelpoggi and Evan Burdsall-Hugh Sokolski added victories. New London is 1-13, 0-8.
• Old Lyme's Brandon White defeated Nate Joyce of Valley Regional in the No. 1 singles match, 7-6 (2), 7-5, to help his team to a 6-1 Shoreline Conference win. Luke Grabowski, Johnny Fairfield-Sonn and Josh Krasney all won at singles for the Wildcats (17-1), which would clinch a share of the conference title with a win over unbeaten Old Saybrook today.
• Avish Patel and Mitchell Edwards won at No. 1 doubles for Stonington as it downed Killingly 7-0 in the ECC Medium. Avery Oefinger, Alan Carroll, Doug Schweid and Chris Tsang all won at singles for the Bears (9-5, 6-2).
• Lillian James, Susane Ortizdivillate, Ladylanis Grullon and Tsering Buti won singles matches to lift New London past Norwich Tech 5-2. Katelyn Morales and Blamely Cepeda also won at No. 2 doubles for the Whalers (3-10) while Norwich Tech (5-6) picked up doubles wins from the teams of Emily Kivela-Phoebe Joyner and Rachael Jones-Rachael Rubleman.
• Hannah Fabianski, Emily Gardiner, Taylor Startz and Claire Morehouse all won at singles for Stonington in its 7-0 win over Killingly in the ECC Medium. Stonington is 8-4, 5-2.
• Valley Regional defeated Old Lyme 5-2 in the Shoreline Conference. Old Lyme picked up a pair of three-set wins, one coming from No. 1 singles player Meredith Aird (6-1, 3-6, 6-4) and the other coming from the No. 2 doubles team of Hannah Behringer-Cooper Kotzan (6-1, 5-7, 6-1).
• Norwich Tech defeated Hartford Capital 6-1 on Monday. Kivela, Hannah Holloway, Hannah Tracy and Lauren Viele won singles matches for the Warriors with Kivela and Holloway teaming up to win at No. 2 doubles.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES