- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Griswold - Michaela Abate won No. 1 singles without losing a set Wednesday helping the St. Bernard School clinch the Eastern Connecticut Conference Small Division girls' tennis title with a 7-0 win over Griswold.
Kat McKinley, Wendy Bessette and Maddie Mahoney also won in singles for the Saints (10-4, 7-0).
St. Bernard's doubles victories went to Alexa Massad and Brittney Walenta, McKinley and Katherine Matthews and Jessica Xu and Andrea He.
In other matches:
• Old Lyme won three of the four singles matches and went on to beat Old Saybrook 4-3 in a Shoreline Conference match. Meredith Aird, Meghan Trausch and Marissa Smith won their matches for the Wildcats along with the doubles team of Hannah Behringer and Cooper Kotzan.
• Sophia Shi, Melinda Li, Katherine Wu and Lisa Gao won in singles and East Lyme defeated New London 7-0. The teams of Shruti Alavala-Jenny Tang, Sejal Patel-Tanvi Dandekar and Maddy Eller-Alex Arsenault won in doubles for East Lyme (11-3). New London is 3-11.
• Emily Gardiner, Taylor Startz and Claire Morehouse won singles matches and Stonington defeated Ledyard 6-1. The Bears are 10-3. Olivia Lyon won No. 1 singles for Ledyard (4-9).
• Jingxuan Huang, Bea Asuncion, Kailey Sullivan and Laura Krick won in singles and Fitch defeated Killingly 6-1. Fitch is 11-3.
• Lyman Memorial beat Montville 4-3 in the ECC Small Division. Jennifer Hester, Mia Ferguson and Megan McAdams won their matches for Montville.
• Ben Biondi, Matthew Chan and Alexander Chang all won at singles for unbeaten East Lyme in its 6-1 win over New London. D.J. Rose and Jay Albert won at doubles for East Lyme (14-0). The team of Bahaa Hoda and Zavi Veliz won for New London.
• Willie Dong improved to 17-0 as Waterford beat Woodstock Academy 7-0. Alan Luner, Shashwat Kala and Benny Dong also won their matches for Waterford (16-1) along with the doubles teams of Adam Howard-Samson Herbert, Matthew Hausmann-Mike Castelpoggi and Evan Burdsall-Hugh Sokolski.
• Avery Oefinger and Alan Carroll won singles matches and Stonington defeated Ledyard 5-2. Avish Patel and Mitchell Edwards won in doubles for the Bears (10-5) as did Ryan Sealy and John Dong and Tristan Blair and Savy Meach.