- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Ledyard — Every victory, suddenly, carries some historical significance for the Fitch High School softball team.
The Falcons remained unbeaten Wednesday and hung a banner in the process. Caroline Taber struck out 13 and the Falcons clinched their first Eastern Connecticut Conference Large Division title since 2009 with a 4-1 win over Ledyard.
Fitch is 19-0.
"It hasn't hit me yet," said Fitch interim coach Arielle Cooper, a player on the 2009 team that also won a state title. "It brings out so many memories. It's like things are coming full circle."
Jackie Lewis had three hits and Jayden Dellaporta hit a two-run home run for the Falcons, who are 9-0 in the division.
"Winning the division and finishing undefeated would mean a lot," Cooper said. "Going undefeated through the regular season is hard. We've had some tough games last few weeks."
Savannah Johnson and Briana Bisson had two hits apiece for Ledyard (6-13, 3-7).
In other games:
• Kaylie Crosby's two-run triple with two outs in the seventh inning gave East Lyme a 3-2 victory over Bacon Academy in the ECC Large Division. East Lyme's Sarah Bond walked to lead off the seventh and was sacrificed to second. Following a popup for the second out, Hannah Burke walked. Crosby's triple scored pinch runners Carly Puckett and Hannah LeBeau. Meghan Welch (7-2) pitched a four-hitter for East Lyme (15-3, 8-2) with six strikeouts and two walks.
• Elaina Sullivan doubled, tripled and finished with three hits in Waterford's 5-0 victory over Montville. Megan Elphick, Caroline Douton and Ally Pezzolesi each had two hits for the Lancers (14-5) and Kazi Walker and Tori VanCleave combined to pitch a five-hitter. Montville is 11-8.
• Emily DeVito tripled, homered and drove in three runs as Norwich Free Academy defeated Woodstock Academy 11-2 in the ECC Large Division. Emily Arico had two hits and three runs scored for NFA (15-5, 6-4) and Samantha Chinigo had two hits, two runs scored and an RBI.
• Cameron Dreher was 3-for-5 with a triple and seven RBI in Stonington's 15-0 win over Tourtellotte in six innings. Mallory Kane added three hits and four runs scored and Reilly Walker had a hit, a run scored and an RBI for Stonington (14-5).
• Kylie Baker hit an RBI double, two-run home run and three-run home run as Wheeler edged New London 16-14. Raven Houck also hit a three-run homer for the Lions (11-3) and Mirandah Ackley and Emma Stock had two hits apiece. Riley Barnes hit a three-run triple and had four RBI for New London (0-20) and Kate Ashbey had two hits.
• Shoshana Berkman drove in two runs as St. Bernard beat Plainfield 4-2. Ali Patterson, Amanda Carpentier and Berkman had two hits each for St. Bernard (13-6) and Amy Bouchard pitched a six-hitter for the win.
• Vinal Tech beat Grasso Tech 22-3 in the Constitution State Conference. Amber Maher was 2-for-3 for Grasso.