H.S. roundup: Stonington girls' tennis has the edge over St. Bernard, advances to quarters
Stonington — Defending state champion Stonington High School, the No. 8 seed, advanced to the quarterfinals of the Class S state girls' tennis tournament Monday with a 4-3 win over No. 9 St. Bernard.
At No. 1 singles, Hannah Fabianski rallied to beat Michaela Abate, 5-7, 6-3, 6-3, to score a point for the Bears. Taylor Startz also won her singles match for Stonington, which received doubles wins from Gina Feliciano and Morgan Parrilla and Jen Carroll and Maeve Manfredi.
Kat McKinley and Maddie Mahoney won singles matches for St. Bernard (12-5). Anna McKinley and Katherine Matthews won in doubles.
Stonington (12-3) visits undefeated Westbrook, the top seed, today.
• East Lyme's unseeded doubles team of Unni Kurumbail and Matthew Lin advanced to the quarterfinals of the Class M state tournament with a 6-1, 6-4 win over Woodstock Academy's Tim Harrington and Cameron Hartford at Yale University. Kurumbail and Lin will face the third-seeded team of Avon's Mike Arciero and Mike Thramann at 2 p.m. today with the semifinals to follow. In singles competition, No. 9 Ben Biondi of the Vikings was ousted by No. 8 Brian Hawkins of New Fairfield 6-1, 6-2 in the third round.
In the Class S tournament at Conard High School, St. Bernard's Alex Zuczek defeated Rocky Hill's Rounak Gokhale 6-3, 6-2 in the third round before losing to Ryan Foster of Hartford Classical in the quarters 6-4, 1-6, 6-4. Foster eliminated Old Lyme's Brendan White 6-2, 6-1 in the third round. Two doubles teams also fell in the quarterfinals as Old Lyme's Johnny Fairfield-Sonn and Josh Krasney lost to Old Saybrook's Sabahudin Cecunjanin and Sam Henry 6-1, 7-5 while St. Bernard's David Abraham and Chris Renaud were beaten by Weston's Henry Morris and Greg Portner 6-2, 6-2.
Track & field
• Montville's Kiah Strickland won the girls' javelin with a throw of 121 feet, 7 inches and Savonnah Artis of Waterford took the triple jump at 35-6 at the Class M state championship meet at Sheehan High School.
Artis also finished third in the 100 meters (13.07) and seventh in the 200 (27.11), while Strickland was fourth in the 100 hurdles (16.35). Tolland won the girls' team title with 81 points. Montville was eighth with 33 points.
Also for Montville, Madeline Campbell was fifth in the triple jump and sixth in the long jump and Nadia Dallas was sixth in the 100. The 4x800 relay team was fifth and the 4x100 relay team sixth.
On the boys' side, Stonington's John Dipollino was fourth in the long jump, Grasso Tech's Zachary Rand was fifth in the 200 and sixth in the 100 and Montville's Chase Lewis was fifth in the pole vault. Sheehan was first with 55 points.
• Sydnee Spruill of Fitch won the girls' high jump at the Class L state championship meet at Middletown High School. Spruill leapt 5-4 for the victory. Also for Fitch, Veronica Foster was third in the discus and Sonnorah Simmonds sixth.
• Justin Bohara fired a 38 and Frankie Lee had a 40 for Norwich Free Academy in a 157-161 loss to East Catholic at Tallwood Country Club. Dan Bilda had a 41 and Jack Sullivan a 42 for the Wildcats (11-4).
• Jack Berger shot a 39 for Old Lyme in a forfeit win over St. Bernard at Black Hall Club in Old Lyme. Graham Aird and Will Roberts each had a 47 for the Wildcats. The Saints had only three golfers. St. Bernard's Seamus Fox had a 52.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA