H.S. softball: Waterford's Walker pitches perfect game in Class M opener
Waterford — Kazi Walker pitched a perfect game as the 12th-ranked Waterford High School softball team defeated No. 21 Wilcox Tech 15-0 in five innings in the first round of the CIAC Class M softball tournament on Monday.
Walker struck out nine.
Sara Buscetto had three hits and two RBI for Waterford (16-6), Sarah Pacheco had three hits, including a double and a home run, and Hannah Swanson had three hits and three RBI.
The Lancers will play in the second round today at No. 5 Platt Tech.
In other state tournament games:
• Melissa Castillo went 3-for-3 with an RBI to power a 14-hit attack, lifting No. 10 Norwich Free Academy past No. 23 Norwalk 11-4 in the Class LL first round. Emily DeVito had a three-run triple while Sophia Formiglio had a two-run triple and Brianne Brennan added a single and double for the Wildcats (19-5), fresh off their championship in the Eastern Connecticut Conference tournament. Winning pitcher Megan Weir, Emily Arico and Shaina Beatrice each had two hits for NFA, which visits No. 7 Amity today in the second round.
• Theresa Kane pitched a no-hitter, striking out eight, leading No. 13 Stonington past No. 20 Nonnewaug 4-0 in the Class M first round. The Bears (16-6) scored one run in the first, one in third and two in the sixth. Mallory Kane went 2-for-3 and scored a run and Brooke Arruda had an RBI triple. Stonington plays at No. 4 Rocky Hill today in the second round.
• Meghan Welch pitched one-hit shutout and had an RBI double, leading No. 9 East Lyme past No. 24 Farmington 10-0 in the Class L first round. Kaylie Crosby had three hits and two RBI, while Samantha Horner and Shae Crosby had two hits apiece for the Vikings (18-5). East Lyme visits No. 8 Maloney today in the second round.
• No. 6 Wheeler scored three runs in the sixth inning to pull away for a 4-0 win over No. 27 Trinity Catholic in the Class S first round. Jenn Paride pitched a five-hitter and also added a double and an RBI for the Lions (15-4). Katie Morgan added a double and RBI. Wheeler hosts No. 11 Kolbe Cathedral today in the second round.
• Olivia Novak had three hits and winning pitcher Amy Bouchard struck out seven and walked one for No. 13 St. Bernard in a 7-5 victory over No. 20 Shepaug Valley in the Class S first round. Ali Patterson was 2-for-3 with two runs and Margaret Reagan 2-for-3 with a double, an RBI and two runs for St. Bernard (14-8). The Saints will play in the second round today at No. 4 Morgan. St. Bernard defeated Morgan 7-1 on April 16.
• Dara Stifel accounted for two of her team's three hits in No. 10 Norwich Tech's 12-0 loss to No. 23 Notre Dame-Fairfield in the Class S first round. Madison Bodley had the other hit for the Warriors (13-8).
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES