- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
A man charged with molesting four children over a 10-year period in East Lyme and Bozrah threatened the young victims to keep quiet or face dire circumstances, according to court documents.
Frank McAlpine, 62, of 127 Stockhouse Road, Bozrah, told one little girl he would “do the same thing to her sisters” if she told anyone that he had molested her. He told another child “he wouldn’t tell if she didn’t” and threatened another victim with telling her parents she had been viewing pornography online.
In one instance, he warned a young male victim that he would “beat his (expletive)” if he told. The boy did disclose in 2004 that McAlpine had sexually assaulted him an estimated 50 times between the ages of 9 and 12.
East Lyme police and the Department of Children and Families, who had removed the boy from his home because he was “acting out,” investigated but did not bring any charges against McAlpine, who “did not show any signs of nervousness” as he denied the allegations, according to an arrest warrant affidavit in New London Superior Court.
East Lyme Officer Jean Cavanaugh and state police revived the investigation earlier this year after one victim, now a teenager, disclosed to a psychologist that she had been molested by McAlpine. Police also learned of two more female victims. McAlpine, confronted in March during a recorded interview at Troop E in Montville, admitted to the crimes.
McAlpine has been held in lieu of $300,000 bond since he was charged May 23 with three counts of first-degree sexual assault, two counts of second-degree sexual assault, four counts of fourth-degree sexual assault and four counts of risk of injury to a minor. He pleaded not guilty during his first appearance Tuesday in the New London court where serious crimes are heard.
Senior Assistant State’s Attorney Theresa Anne Ferryman is prosecuting the case. Attorney Peter E. Scillieri from the public defender’s office is representing McAlpine, who is due back in court July 1.