- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- 2015 In Review
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Bridgewater, Mass. - Three seniors, Fitch's Tyler Latham, Ledyard's Chenoa Sebastian and Waterford's Savonnah Artis, had second-place finishes in the New England high school track and field championships on Saturday at Bridgewater State College.
Latham was second in 300-meter intermediate hurdles (39.18 seconds), Sebastian was second in the 100 hurdles (14.61) and Artis was second in the triple jump (37 feet, 5 inches) to lead a contingent of local athletes. Sebastian broke her own school record of 14.66.
Latham also placed in two other events, finishing third in the javelin (182-10) and eighth in the 110 high hurdles (15.29).
In other boys' results, Old Lyme's Jared Stanland was third in the discus (156-8), Fitch's Brian Robinson was fifth in the discus (150-10), Ledyard's Joe Carter was eighth in the 200 (22.32) and 16th in the long jump (20-2½), Norwich Free Academy's Andris Vital was eighth in the 100 (11.27), Waterford's Julio Gil-Martinez was 11th in the 200 (22.44) and Grasso Tech's Zach Rand was 18th in the 200 (22.82).
In other girls' results, NFA's Taylor Driggers was seventh in the long jump (17-3) and 19th in the triple jump (34-½), East Lyme's Jenna Schumacher was 13th in the javelin (111-0), Ledyard's Ari Fustini was 17th in the javelin (106-11) and NFA's 4x400 relay team of Charlotte Van Sambeck, Nicole Coughlin, Camille McKenzie and MiaLynne Park placed 11th in 4:02.51.
Zone VI Senior Legion
• Will Butler pitched a two-hitter in the opener and Niantic rallied for two runs in the top of seventh to defeat New London 7-6 in the second game and complete a doubleader sweep. Butler walked two and struckout seven while Michael Morgan added a two-run double in the 3-0 opening game win.
In the second game, Billy Buscetto tied the game in the seventh with an RBI double and Austin Toback (four hits, four RBI) singled home Buscetto with the go-ahead run. Gabriel Diaz had four hits for New London while Peter Aldrich had three hits and two RBI and Justin Marceau added two doubles and two RBI.
• Montville was swept by Danielson in its season-opening doubleheader, losing the first game 7-1 and the second game 6-0. Nick Clemons doubled home the run for Montville.
Zone VI Junior Legion
• Dylan Wilkinson pitched a five-hitter as Ledyard-Pawcatuck beat Tri-Town 2-1. Cale Gilbert went 3-for-3 and broke a 1-1 tie when he scored on Mike Bruce's two-out double in the bottom of the sixth inning.
• Norwich fell to Jewett City 15-4. Abner Lugo Del Toro doubled for Norwich (0-1).
• Laura Brustolon won the Tour de Noank, completing the 5K race in 19:10. Brustolon, of Lawrence, Mass., is a former Mystic resident. Also finishing in the top 10 were Spencer Hess (19:30), Nicholas Godlewski of Groton (19:39), Scott Carper of Mystic (19:50), Tom Readett of Mystic (20:07), Tracy Montoya of Waterford (20:14), Ben Connell of Groton (20:19), Maxwell Reck of North Stonington (20:32), Daniel Erhart of Groton (20:35) and Todd Brown of Groton (20:51).