Local Roundup: Tigers fall to ValleyCats
Troy, N.Y. - The Connecticut Tigers wasted a strong start by Tanner Bailey, losing to the Tri-City ValleyCats 3-2 in a New York-Penn. League baseball game Sunday.
Bailey allowed three hits over six shutout innings, striking out nine with no walks. He left the game with a 2-0 lead but Tri-City scored twice in the seventh and won the game on Ariel Ovando's RBI single in the bottom of the ninth inning.
Orvin Tovar had two hits and Ismael Salgado and Tovar drove in runs for the Tigers (1-2).
The Tigers took advantage of seven Tri-City errors in a 9-3 win Saturday night. Salgado was 3-for-5 with a double and Jacob Kapstein had two hits and drove in three runs for the Tigers.
Zone VI American Legion
• Griffin Archambault had three hits as Waterford remained unbeaten with a 10-3 win over Jewett City. Connor Lewis (2-0) earned the win. Evan Dunham had three hits for Jewett City (2-4).
• New London handed Niantic its first loss of the season, winning 15-12. Peter Aldrich had two hits, scored and run and drove in a run and Justin Marceau tripled and scored twice for New London (2-3). Matt Przybysz was 3-for-4 with two doubles and three RBI, David Peck was 2-for-5 with a three-run homer and Owen Tretter singled, doubled and scored three times for Niantic (3-1).
SEC 16-18 Babe Ruth
• Waterford rallied for three runs in the bottom of the seventh inning and remained unbeaten with a 6-5 win over Tri-County Hebron. Griffin Beaney had two hits and scored twice and Anthony Jordan singled and doubled for Waterford (3-0). Clay McKittrick allowed four hits over six innings for Waterford.
Zone VI Junior Legion
• Ledyard-Pawcatuck remained unbeaten with a 14-0 win over Tri-Town in a five-inning game. Sam Foster pitched a one-hitter with five strikeouts for the win. Dylan Wilkinson tripled and drove in four runs and Gilbert and Wilkinson had three hits each for Ledyard-Pawcatuck (3-0).
• The Mystic Schooners scored four runs in the bottom of the eighth inning Saturday night, rallying for a 5-4 win over the Newport Gulls in a New England Collegiate Baseball League game. The Schooners (4-1) trailed 3-0 before former East Lyme standout Chase Livingston (Rhode Island) singled home a run in the seventh. In the eighth, the Schooners loaded the bases with no outs and tied the game on two bases-loaded walks then went ahead on Livingston's fielder's choice. Waterford's A.J. Turnier (Southern Connecticut) pitched three scoreless innings in relief for Mystic, allowing two hits with four strikeouts and no walks.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES