- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Three Old Lyme High School boys' players were named first team Class S all-state selections by the Connecticut High School Lacrosse Coaches' Association on Monday.
Senior Henry Hunt (attack), sophomore Josh Turkowski (defense) and senior Machlan Sawden (long stick midfield) were the only local players to garner first-team honors. Stonington had two players make the Class S second team - junior Jack Riordan (midfield) and sophomore Will Iorio (attack) - while East Lyme had three players named to the Class M second team, senor Nic Page (attack), senior Mark Chmielewski (midfield) and senior Jacob Gordon (defense).
• Rick Hayes, playing on his home course, shot a one-over-par 73 on the North Course and is tied for fourth after the first round of the 112th Connecticut Amateur Championship at Lake of Isles. The final round of medal play will be conducted today on the South Course at Lake of Isles, with the top 32 finishers advancing to match play competition on Wednesday.
Sean Gaudette of The Course at Yale leads at one-under 71 with Dave Szewczul of Tunxis Plantation and Chris Pavelic of Round Hill tied for second at 72. Nick Torrance of Lake of Isles is tied for 32nd (77) while Phil Perry of Black Hall Club in Old Lyme is tied for 43rd (78).
Other local golfers in the field are Michael Hawley of Stonington CC (81), Bill Hermanson of Black Hall (82), Steve Chevalier of Lake of Isles (82), Ron Soccoli Jr. of Black Hall (86), James Lathrop of Pequot GC (89) and James Lawlor of Mohegan Sun CC (89).
• UConn and Duke finalized plans to play at the IZOD Center (Meadowlands Sports Complex) in East Rutherford, N.J., on Thursday, Dec. 18, at 8 p.m.
It will be the first meeting between the two national powers since 2009 when Duke beat the Huskies 68-59 in NIT Tip-Off Championship game at Madison Square Garden. Tickets will go on sale Friday at 10 a.m. through Ticketmaster and can be purchased online at ticketmaster.com or by phone at (800) 745-3000. Tickets will be available at the IZOD Center box office beginning June 23 at 11 a.m.
• Lou Iannotti (Quinnipiac) homered and drove in four runs as the Mystic Schooners beat the Danbury Westerners 10-4 in a New England Collegiate Baseball League game. Dan Hoy (Princeton) and Tyler Boyd (Seton Hall) had two hits each for Mystic (5-1). New London's Edgard Santiago (Western Connecticut) started for Danbury (2-5) and Waterford's Nolan Long (Wagner) started for Mystic but neither figured in the decision.
• The Connecticut Tigers jumped out to a 3-0 lead and hled on to beat the Vermont Lake Monsters 3-2 in a New York-Penn. League game. Franklin Navarro doubled and Rashad Brown, Orvin Tovar and Steven Negron drove in runs for the Tigers (2-2).
Zone VI Legion
• Peter Aldrich drove in five runs and Andrew Fogarty pitched a six-hitter as New London beat Ledyard-Pawcatuck 7-1. Aldrich hit a three-run homer in the first inning, Justin Marceau had two hits and Fogarty struck out four with one walk for New London (4-3). Mike Dellaporta had two hits and scored for Ledyard-Pawcatuck (1-5).
SEC 16-18 Babe Ruth
• Winning pitcher Matthew McElwee pitched three perfect innings, striking out all nine batters he faced, as Ledyard defeated East Lyme 7-4. Jeremy Baron led the offense with a double while Bryan Collins doubled for East Lyme and losing pitcher Anthony Carambot had 12 strikeouts.
• Kevin Schilling was 3-for-3 with two doubles and drove in five runs as Tri-County Salem beat East Lyme 7-4 Sunday night. Richard Falvey allowed one run over four innings for the win, striking out seven. Carambot was 3-for-3 with a double for East Lyme.