- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Newport, R.I. - The Mystic Schooners weren't able to hold on to a 2-0 lead and lost to the Newport Gulls 6-2 in a New England Collegiate Baseball League game Saturday night.
Tyler Boyd (Seton Hall) and Niantic's Chase Livingston (Rhode Island) had RBI singles in the top of the sixth as the Schooners took a 2-0 lead. Nick Zamarelli's two-run homer in the bottom of the sixth pulled Newport even and Zamarelli's two-run double highlighted a four-run seventh that sparked Newport (9-3) to victory.
Chris Chiaradio (Seton Hall) was 3-for-4 and Groton's Aaron Hill (UConn) doubled for Mystic (7-3).
New York-Penn League
• Lee Sosa and Jose Torres combined to pitch a four-hitter as the Vermont Lake Monsters beat the Connecticut Tigers 5-1. Ben Verlander was 2-for-3 and drove in a run for the Tigers (3-6).
• The Tigers scored six runs in the top of the 10th inning and held on to beat the Lake Monsters 9-7 on Friday night. Vermont scored three runs in the botom of the ninth to tie the game at 3-3. Franklin Navarro's two-run double highlighted Connecticut's 10th. Ross Kivett was 2-for-5 and scored twice for the Tigers.
American Legion Zone VI
• Michael Nossek pitched an eight-hitter as Ledyard-Pawcatuck beat Montville 2-1. Nossek struck out three with no walks and Kavan Jakuba had two hits and drove in a run for Ledyard-Pawcatuck (3-6). Troy Sullivan and Steven Rogers had two hits each for Montville (0-7). Chad Mooney took the loss, pitching a five-hitter with four strikeouts and no walks.
SEC 16-18 Babe Ruth
• Cody Cleary and Justin Pandolfe combined to pitch a six-hitter with seven strikeouts as Waterford beat Tri-County Hebron 6-2. Anthony Jordan, Ryan Miller and Edgar Centeno had two hits each for Waterford (4-1), Jordan scored twice and Miller drove in two runs.
• Brady Reardon pitched a three-hitter as Tri-County Hebron beat Tri-County Salem 4-0 Friday. Reardon struck out seven for Tri-County Hebron (1-2). Sean Lane pitched a six-hitter with four strikeouts for Tri-County Salem (1-3).
District 10 LL softball (11-12)
• Groton/Mystic improved to 3-0 with an 11-1 win over Montville in five innings. Casey Flax pitched a one-hitter with five strikeouts for the win.
Meagan Giwoyna drove in two runs with a single and a triple and Aspen Ryan, Olivia Carney and Olivia Travers each drove in two runs for Groton/Mystic. Erin Molkenthin doubled and drove in a run for Montville.