Local Roundup: New London sweeps Legion doubleheader
New London - New London swept a doubleheader from Jewett City in American Legion Zone VI play Sunday night.
New London (8-4) won the opener 13-3 on a six-inning mercy rule and won the second game 13-5.
Bryan Cespedes had three hits and scored four runs in the opener and Gabriel Diaz had three hits and scored twice in the opener and hit a three-run, inside-the-park homer in the second game for New London. Peter Aldrich drove in three runs in the opener and Timmie Jackson had three hits in the second game for New London.
• Montville swept a doubleheader from Ledyard-Pawcatuck, winning the opener 6-3 and the second game 6-1.
Greg Benjamin pitched a four-hitter to win the opener and Buddy Dewaine and Pat Halloran had two hits each for Montville (2-7). Nick Clemons pitched a two-hitter in the second game and had three hits while Brandon Haas singled and doubled.
• The Mystic Schooners suffered their third straight loss, losing 5-4 in 12 innings to the North Adams SteepleCats. Mystic (7-4) scored a run in the top of the ninth to tie the game at 3-3, each team scored a run in the 11th and the SteepleCats won it with a run in the bottom of the 12th.
Nick Ruppert (Dartmouth) and Tyler Boyd (Seton Hall) had three hits each and Brad Zunica (Miami) homered and drove in two runs for Mystic.
New York-Penn League
• The Vermont Lake Monsters scored seven runs off the Connecticut Tigers' bullpen and came away with a 10-7 win. Ross Kivett was 2-for-5 with a pair of doubles and two RBI, Rashad Brown had three singles and Kasey Coffman and Jacob Kapstein had two hits each for the Tigers (3-7).
SEC 16-18 Babe Ruth
• Matthew McElwee and Evan August had two hits each to help lead Ledyard to a 9-3 win over Waterford. August threw three hitless innings for the win, striking out three, and McElwee had a triple.
• Bobby Santos came out of a green-white-checked flag finish to win the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour's Mr. Rooter 161 Saturday night. Santos battled Donny Lia over much of the race, trailing him over the first 100 laps before picking up his intensity. Santos tried setting up Lia on multiple occasions, finally using a power move to Lia's inside on lap-133 to wrestle away the lead. Santos held on over two late restarts, including the final one with two laps remaining. Lia gave a final shot to Santos' rear bumper coming to the white flag before Santos pulled ahead to the win.
Lia finished second and Ted Christopher was third.
• Robert Buttermore of Waterford won the Lou DePina 1-Miler in Taftville with a time of 5:13. Carissa Ekholm was the top women's finisher in 6:06, good for sixth overall. Also finishing in the top 10 were Daniel Peter of Preston (5:28), Wayne Jolley (5:43), Anthony Good Jr. (6:00), Todd Guertin of Norwich (6:05), Tim Smith of Norwich (6:07), Jason Marcucilli (6:07), Fred Szczsiul (6:11) and Paul Andruskiewicz of Preston (6:22.).
District 10 LL softball (11-12)
• Caroline Petchark pitched a one-hitter as Waterford beat Ledyard 14-0 in four innings. Lili Stoddard and Ciana Chiappone had two hits each for Waterford.
• Olivia Quagan pitched a complete game with six strikeouts, leading East Lyme to a 10-5 win over Pawcatuck Saturday. Angie Venditti and Sydney Iannantuono had multiple hits for East Lyme and Tori LoPresto, Aliza Bell and Brenna McNeil combined for seven hits for Pawcatuck.
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES