Local roundup: Gerber leads Tigers past Spinners 11-3
Lowell, Mass. - Michael Gerber had three hits, including a two-run triple in the first inning, with three runs and three RBI as the Connecticut Tigers bashed the Lowell Spinners on Monday, 11-3, in a New York-Penn League game held before 4,269 at Edward A. LeLacheur Park.
Domingo Leyba had three hits, including two doubles, with three RBI and two runs for Connecticut (4-7 and Kasey Coffman had two hits and three RBI.
Boston's Shane Victorino batted leadoff for the Spinners (5-6) and went 0-for-3 in a rehab performance.
• Matt Walsh (Franklin Pierce) hit a two-run double with two outs in the bottom of the first as the Plymouth Pilgrims went on to beat the Mystic Schooners, 3-0. Groton's Aaron Hill (UConn) had two hits for the Schooners (7-5) and Waterford's Nolan Long (Wagner) scattered three hits over six innings with 10 strikeouts.
SEC 16-18 Babe Ruth
• Trey Zaharek pitched a complete-game six-hitter as Waterford defeated Tri-County Salem 11-2. Zaharek also had three hits, including a triple, for Waterford (5-2) while Justin Pandolfe had three hits with a double and Ryan Miller had three singles. TC-Salem is 1-5.
• Matt Garcia went the distance in Tri-County Hebron's 3-2 win over Ledyard. Zach Willis had two hits for Ledyard.
• Zach Wood had two hits, including a home run and three RBI, as the Panera Pirates defeated Griswold 12-1 in an ECML game at Dickenman Field. Sawyer Gregory added a double and drove in three runs while Ken Olszewski added a douible and triple. Tyler Mikula allowed only six hits with seven strikeouts in a complete-game effort.
District 10 SB (11-12)
• Mystic rallied for two runs in the bottom of the sixth to defeated Pawcatuck 6-5. Pinch runner Nicole Stanford stole second and scored on Olivia Carney's single to tie the game before Allison Georgetti won it with a triple to right-center. Carney finished with three hits while Meagan Giwoyna had a single, double and RBI and Angelina Doak had a single and two RBI. Miranda Arruda had two hits for Pawcatuck while Sarah Flakus had a single and two RBI.
• Winning pitcher Abby Bradford struck out seven as Salem/Bozrah/Lyme/Old Lyme defeated New London 10-0 in five innings on Sunday. Caitlyn Sievers had two hits and Maddie Cann a double for Salem while Jovanna Potter had a hit for New London.
Zone VI Junior Legion
• Mike Bruce pitched a two-hitter with eight strikeouts as Ledyard-Pawcatuck beat Tri-Town 6-1 on Sunday. Billy Keane had three hits and Branden Medina, Josh Lapid and Bruce had two hits each for Ledyard-Pawcatuck (5-2).
• Connecticut College juniors Robert Spencer and Nick DiLeo were honorable mentioin picks to the Association of Collegiate Water Polo Coaches All-America Team. Spencer scored a team-high 55 goals and added eight assists and 31 steals while DiLeo scored 31 goals, had a team-best 31 assists and 56 steals.
• Conn juniors Nicky Jasbon and Kate Jacobson were named to the ACWPC All-America Team. Jasbon was named to the second team and Jacobson was an honorable mention pick. Jasbon had 71 goals, 40 assists and 99 steals while Jacobson had a team-high 80 goals.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES