Local roundup: Conn's LeDuc is Division III men's track Academic All-America of the Year
New London - Michael LeDuc of Connecticut College, a three-time NCAA champion during his career, was named Tuesday as the Division III Academic All-America of the Year for men's track.
LeDuc, a senior and a nine-time All-American in cross country and track, won his second straight 3,000-meter steeplechase title this spring in 8 minutes, 45.77 seconds, the third-fastest time in Division III history, following a victory at the 2013 cross country championship.
A native of Canton, LeDuc earned a 3.80 grade point average while majoring in botany.
He was recognized with Conn's Anita L. DeFrantz Senior Athletic Award.
"This is another in a long line of well-deserved awards for Mike," Conn cross country coach and associate head track coach Jim Butler said. "It is a fitting tribute to him at the close of his career here. ... During his four years as a Camel he was an outstanding representative of Connecticut College."
American Legion Zone VI
• Mike Dellaporta pitched a one-hitter as Ledyard-Pawcatuck defeated Norwich 10-0 in a game stopped after five innings due to the mercy rule. Nate Story had two doubles, a single and three RBI for L-P.
• Andrew Fratoni tied the game with a double in the seventh inning and Anthony Malchiodi walked with the bases loaded moments later to give Montville a 9-8 win over Jewett City. Buddy Dewaine had three hits, two RBI and two runs scored for Montville while Malchiodi, Fratoni and Greg Benjamin added two hits apiece.
• Bill Buscetto was 4-for-4 with three RBI and a pair of runs scored as Niantic defeated Montville 7-2 on Monday night. Jack Livingston was the winning pitcher and Matt Przybysz added a single, triple and two runs.
District 10 BB (9-10)
• Jordan Elci and Logan Avin combined to pitch a no-hitter as Waterford defeated East Haddam 14-0.
• Mystic defeated East Lyme 4-1 as winning pitcher Jason Erb had three hits, including a two-run home run, and Colin Anderson had two hits and scored two runs. Matt Bradley and Gavin O'Brien had two hits apiece for East Lyme.
• Pawcatuck/North Stonington defeated Lyme-Old Lyme 12-0 behind pitcher Dorian White's one-hitter. Brandt Ogden went 3-for-3 with a triple for Pawcatuck while Alex Roth had the Lyme-Old Lyme hit.
District 10 SB (11-12)
• Ciana Chiappone pitched a three-hitter and also had two hits as Waterford defeated Salem/Bozrah/Lyme-Old Lyme 16-1. Lili Stoddard had added three hits, Cassidy Susi had two doubles and Lexi Mangual had a single and double for Waterford while Caitlyn Sievers had a single and double for Salem.
• Waterford defeated New London 21-3 in four innings on Monday as Chloe McCue pitched a three-hitter and had a single and triple while Jayne Darras added two hits.
• Salem/Bozrah/Lyme-Old Lyme defeated Ledyard 10-0 in four innings on Monday as Sophia Dicocco had eight strikeouts and Nikki Marsh had two hits. Hannah Smith doubled for Ledyard.
• East Lyme defeated Montville 4-3 on Monday as as Isabell Casey singled home the tying run in the bottom of the sixth and Sara Christensen later singled home Casey with the game-winner. Sydney Iannantouno homored for East Lyme and Olivia Quagan was the winning pitcher.
District 10 SB (9-10)
• Waterford defeated Lyme-Old Lyme 5-2 as Bella Williams doubled home a run, Amy Pinch had an RBI single and Gabriela and Lilliana Kramer combined for the win. Kassidy Standish allowed only three hits in the loss.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES