- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Groton - Aaron Hill of Groton (UConn) and Andrew Hinckley (UConn-Avery Point) drove in three runs each as the Mystic Schooners beat the New Bedford Bay Sox 10-2 in a New England Collegiate Baseball League game on Friday afternoon at Fitch High School.
Niantic's Chase Livingston (Rhode Island) was 2-for-3 with a double and two runs scored, Hinckley was 3-for-4 with a double, Toby Handley (Stony Brook) had three hits and Hill scored three runs for Mystic (9-5).
Chris Kalica (St. John's) improved to 2-0 with the win, allowing one hit over six shutout innings with seven strikeouts and two walks. Kalica had a no-hitter through five innings.
Zone VI Legion
• Tri-Town beat Ledyard-Pawcatuck 3-1. Nate Storey and Troy Stefanski had two hits each for Ledyard-Pawcatuck (6-9).
Zone VI Junior Legion
• Dylan Wilkinson had two doubles and a triple to lead Ledyard-Pawcatuck to a 13-3 win over Norwich on Thursday. Kale Gilbert added two hits for Ledyard-Pawcatuck (8-2).
• The Panera Pirates scored a run in the top of the seventh inning, breaking a 3-3 tie, and went on to beat Griswold 4-3 in an Eastern Connecticut Major League game.
Eric Somers, Dan Bradley and Slater Gregory combined to pitch a two-hitter with Bradley (1-0) getting the win and Greglory earning a save.
Adam Regnere had two hits for the Pirates.
District 10 softball (11-12)
• Mystic/Groton won the opener in the best-of-three championship series, beating Waterford 5-3. Game 2 is today at Pawcatuck, starting at 1 p.m. Nora Ryan and Meagan Giwoyna drove in two runs each and Olivia Carney had two hits for Mystic/Groton. Aspen Ryan was the winning pitcher, striking out six. Chloe McCue had two hits and drove in two runs for Waterford and Caroline Petchark allowed two hits over five innings.
• Lexi Mangual went 3-for-4 as Waterford beat East Lyme 11-7 in a semifinal on Thursday night. Cassidy Susi was the winning pitcher and Gina McKittrick, Lili Stoddard and Susi had two hits each and Madison Nott and Susi had doubles for Waterford. Angie Venditti had two singles and a triple and Sydney Iannantuno singled and tripled for East Lyme.
District 10 softball (9-10)
• Samantha Money pitched a one-hitter with 13 strikeouts as Ledyard beat Pawcatuck 3-1. Maggie Constantine had two hits for Pawcatuck and Elaina Previty and Shea O'Connor combined to pitch a one-hitter with eight strikeouts. Money also doubled. In another game, New London beat Salem/Bozrah 17-4.
• Waterford defeated Montville 15-2 on Thursday night as Emma Marelli had three hits and Milena Walker and Gabriela Kramer each had two hits, including one home run apiece. Kramer didn't allow a hit in four innings and struck out 11.
District 10 baseball (9-10)
• Owen Elmer was the winning pitcher and scored four runs as East Lyme beat East Haddam 16-1. Elmer struck out seven over three innings and doubled twice.
Rowan Mundell doubled, singled twice, drove in three runs and scored three times, Cannon Dean had two hits and scored twice and Matt Bradley drove in two runs for East Lyme.
• Timmy Lynch and Colin Anderson each singled, doubled and tripled as Mystic beat Waterford 16-6. Winning pitcher Cam McGugan (two doubles), Caleb Mewha and Alex DelCampo had three hits each and Jason Erb homered for Mystic.
Waterford's Jordan Elci doubled twice.
• Justin Saad went 4-for-4 with four RBI as Montville beat Stonington/Pawcatuck 14-7 Thursday. Zach Keenan had three hits and four RBI for Montville.