Local roundup: Kesilewski saves the day for Montville Legion
Montville — Stan Kesilewski had a double, a triple, three RBI and scored and allowed one hit over two innings with a strikeout to earn the save Monday as Montville edged New London 8-7 in a Zone VI American Legion baseball game.
Brandon Haas had three hits, two runs and two RBI for Montville (8-9) and Nick Clemons added two hits, two runs and an RBI. Aaron Michaud had three hits, including a double, and three runs for New London and Jeremy Santos had three RBI.
In other games:
• Hunter Sheffield was the winning pitcher for Niantic and went 2-for-2 with a double, two runs scored and two RBI in an 8-3 victory over Tri-Town. Owen Tretter was 2-for-2 with an RBI and three runs scored and Ryan Nickerson doubled for Niantic. Sean Falvey was 2-for-4 with two RBI for Tri-Town.
District 6 Babe Ruth (14)
• Winning pitcher Jordan Lowell struck out four in four innings and doubled as Groton beat Tri-County 5-2. Chris Beatty and Sigfredo Hidalgo both doubled for Groton.
District 10 baseball (11-12)
• Sophie Dubreuil had two home runs, including a grand slam, as East Lyme topped Groton 17-0. Tommy Bonelli had a home run and Ethan Toback had a double, three runs and two RBI for East Lyme. Trystan Levesque added two doubles. Sam Lambert singled for Groton.
• Nick Calash went 3-for-4 and Kenny Heon struck out eight as Montville beat Mystic 4-1. Giovani Valentine had two hits and scored for Mystic.
• R.J. Parrilla had three hits, including a double, with four RBI as Pawcatuck/North Stonington beat New London 11-1 in five innings. Rhys Hammond and Joey Hinckley each had an RBI double for Pawcatuck/North Stonington and winning pitcher Nate Hopkins had two hits, including a double.
• Ryan Bakken, Desmond Greene and Payton Sutman all hit home runs as Waterford defeated Lyme/Old Lyme 13-3. Jared Burrows had three hits and Sonny Pezzello had a double and a triple for Waterford. Parker Stone hit a two-run home run and Liam Flanagan had two hits for Lyme/Old Lyme.
District 10 baseball (9-10)
• Andrew Benoit went 3-for-4 and Trevor Meaike went 2-for-3 as Montville rallied from a seven-run deficit to beat New London on Sunday, 10-8. Montville will play Waterford at 5 p.m. in today's semifinals at Yankee Field in New London. Mystic faces Pawcatuck/North Stonington at 7:30 p.m.
• Nick Fessenden and Cole Tretter combined to pitch a three-hitter as Johnny Rockets defeated the Panera Pirates 7-2 Sunday at Dickenman Field in Norwich. Cranston Walker had two hits for Johnny Rockets and Seth Hoagland, Chance Gendron and Ryan Braum each had doubles. Chris Olszewski doubled for the Pirates.
All-state softball honorees
• Eight local softball players were named to the Connecticut High School Coaches' Association all-state teams for the 2014 season.
Norwich Free Academy senior Emily DeVito was named to the Class LL team, having led the Wildcats to the Eastern Connecticut Conference tournament title. Two members of the Fitch team which won the state championship in that division were named to the Class L team, junior shortstop Jackie Lewis and sophomore pitcher Caroline Taber.
In Class M, Waterford senior catcher Elaina Sullivan was an all-state pick along with Stonington sisters Theresa Kane, a senior pitcher, and Mallory Kane, a sophomore outfielder. Wheeler sophomore catcher Raven Houck and St. Bernard senior shortstop Ali Patterson were honored in Class S.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES