Local roundup: Trimarco has plenty of support in Schooners win
Groton - Frank Trimarco (Monmouth) pitched six strong innings and Toby Handley (Stony Brook) drove in three runs as the Mystic Schooners beat the New Bedford Bay Sox 11-4 in a New England Collegiate Baseball League game Tuesday night.
Groton's Aaron Hill (UConn) homered, hit a sacrifice fly and scored twice for Mystic (12-6). Trimarco (3-1) allowed two hits and no runs with three strikeouts and no walks. Tyler Boyd (Seton Hall), Stephen Laurino (Marist) and Jared Hendren (Heartland CC) had two hits each for Mystic.
New York-Penn League
• The Lowell Spinners scored four runs each in the third and sixth innings and beat the Connecticut Tigers 11-5. Joseph Pankake was 2-for-5 with two RBI and scored twice, Ross Kivett had two hits and Garrett Mattlage doubled and scored twice for the Tigers (8-10).
Zone VI Legion
• Will Butler pitched a three-hitter as first-place Niantic beat Danielson 7-1. Ryan Nickerson was 2-for-3 and scored twice and Austin Toback had a two-run single for Niantic (14-3).
SEC 16-18 Babe Ruth
• Nick Cullen pitched a no-hitter as Tri-County Hebron beat Tri-County Salem 14-2. Dominic Godi had two hits and drove in four runs for Tri-County Hebron.
• Ledyard beat East Lyme 10-8. Zach Willis and Andrew Gagnon had two hits each for Ledyard and Brian Carr and Anthony Carambot had two hits each for East Lyme.
District 16 Babe Ruth (14)
• Collin Bakken pitched a two-hitter as Waterford beat Tri-County 13-0 in a game called after six innings on a mercy rule. Bakken struck out nine with two walks. Alec Donahue doubled and had two triples and Mike Burrows and Ed Aledia each singled and doubled for Waterford.
District 16 Babe Ruth (13)
• Trevor Yeomans broke a 1-1 tie with a two-run single in the top of the 10th inning and Waterford went on to a 4-2 win over East Lyme. Yeomans pitched four scoreless innings in relief and Peter Turello scored twice for Waterford.
• New London beat Tri-County 13-5. Elijah Martinez, Steven Turner and Pat Madden had doubles for New London.
District 10 baseball (10-11)
• Trevor D'Amico was 4-for-4 and pitched a four-hitter as Waterford beat Pawcatuck/North Stonington 14-1. Ryan O'Connell had three hits, Ben Jerome, Mike Marelli and Sammy Lanuza had two hits each and O'Connell and D'Amico had doubles for Waterford. Ian Spracklin doubled for Pawcatuck/North Stonington.
• Tait Sawden had two hits, drove in two runs and struck out 10 over four innings as Lyme-Old Lyme beat Mystic 9-5. Tim Young doubled twice and Jacob Berdick pitched four strong innings for Mystic.
District 10 baseball (9-10)
• Jordan Elci and Logan Avin combined to pitch a five-hitter as Waterford beat Montville 14-4 in a semifinal. Waterford plays Mystic in the best-of-three championship series beginning Saturday. Will Rocchetti had three hits, Mason Concascia doubled twice, Sean Salvador had two hits and Connor Rowe, Avin and Rocchetti had doubles for Waterford.
• Jason Erb and Colin Anderson combined to pitch a one-hitter as Mystic beat Pawcatuck 14-0. Cam McGugan (three RBI), Erb (two RBI) and Nick Carney had two hits each and Alex DelCampo and Timmy Lynch drove in two runs each for Mystic. Wynn Hammond doubled for Pawcatuck's only hit.
District 10 softball (9-10)
• Bella Williams drove in the game-winning run in the bottom of the sixth inning as Waterford beat Mystic 7-6 Monday. Gabriela Kramer was the winning pitcher, striking out eight, and Maddie Burrows and Amy Pinch each had a hit and scored twice for Waterford. Ellie Koriney and Kylie Wtolich scored two runs each and Fiona Taber struck out 12 for Mystic.
• Victoria Gage had two hits and drove in four runs as Lyme-Old Lyme beat Montville 7-1 Monday. Allison Ward, Gage and Kassidy Standish combined for the victory.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES