- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Waterford - Allison Georgetti pitched a no-hitter and struck out 11 as Mystic won the Connecticut Section 3 Little League softball 11-12 title on Sunday with a 9-0 victory over Madison.
The District 10 champions went unbeaten in the Section 3 tournament.
Karly Morales had two hits and drove in two runs to lead the Mystic offense while Olivia Carney added a hit and two RBI and Allison Venditti, Abby Rogers, Nora Ryan, Aspen Ryan and Meagan Giwoyna each had a hit.
District 10 softball (9-10)
• Waterford advanced to the best-of-three championship series with a 19-3, four-inning win over New London in the semifinals. Lilliana and Gabriela Kramer combined to pitch a no-hitter for Waterford while Jersey Naholnik, Hannah Buczkowski, Amy Pinch, Emma Marelli and Lily Marelli each scored two runs.
• Samantha Money pitched a one-hitter and struck out 16 as Ledyard defeated Lyme-Old Lyme 8-1 to advance to the best-of-three championship series against Waterford, which begins today at Veterans Field in East Lyme at 5:30 p.m. Money also went 4-for-4 with three runs scored and two RBI for Ledyard while Sara Cox had two hits and an RBI and Paige Perkins doubled in two runs and later scored.
• The Connecticut Tigers and Vermont Lake Monsters split a New York-Penn League doubleheader at Dodd Stadium, the Tigers winning the opener 5-4 and the Lake Monsters winning the second game 5-4. Chase Edwards (3-1) got the win for the Tigers (11-11) with 5 1/3 solid innings and Gage Smith picked up his first save. Joe Pankake drove in two runs for Connecticut. Ross Kivett and Michael Thomas drove in runs for the Tigers in the second game.
• Ryan Davis allowed just two hits over eight innings as the Vermont Mountaineers beat the Mystic Schooners 3-0 in the NECBL. Waterford's A.J. Turnier pitched well for the Schooners (13-7) in defeat, allowing just one run on two hits over 5 1/3 winnings. He struck out four.
• Panera Pirates broke a 2-2 tie on back-to-back doubles by Tyler Mikula and Eric Somers in the sixth inning to defeat Full Scale Electricians 4-2 an an Eastern Connecticut Major League game at Washington Park. Nate Narducci homered for Full Scale while Will Warner and Tristan Hurley had two hits apiece.
District 6 Babe Ruth (15)
• Dan Castelpoggi went 4-for-5 with a triple and Corey Conderino added a single and double as Waterford defeated Montville 19-1 in a game stopped after five innings due to the mercy rule. Tyler Yeomans allowed just one hit with five strikeouts in three innings for Waterford and also had a double. Byron Dewaine scored Montville's only run on a wild pitch.
District 10 baseball (11-12)
• East Haddam defeated Groton 9-5 as Alex Ricard hit a grand slam and Brendan Dalton broke a 5-5 tie with a bases-clearing triple. Noah Bautista had a solo homer and three-run double for Groton.
• Waterford advanced to the semifinals with a 10-0 win over Lyme-Old Lyme. Ryan Bakken had two hits, including a home run, for Waterford while Payton Sutman added two hits, Jared Burrows hit a three-run homer and Luke Sokolski, Sonny Pezzello and Liam Kane each doubled. Corey Drummond had a single for Lyme-Old Lyme.
• Mystic advanced to the semifinals with a 4-2 win over Montville as Giovanni Valentine and Tyler Cady combined to pitch a three-hitter and Pacey Steele had a single and two-run homer. Zac Southard had a double for Montville.
District 10 baseball (10-11)
• Waterford defeated Lyme-Old Lyme 5-4 on Saturday as Ryan O'Connell was the winning pitcher, Mike Marelli had two hits, including a double, and Ben Jerome, Owen Coderre and Anthony Tonucci added doubles. Tait Sawden had two doubles for Lyme-Old Lyme.
• Mystic defeated New London 10-5 on Saturday behind the combined pitching of Eric Leuchner and Nate McCormick. Tim Young had two doubles and three RBI for Mystic and Aiden Greaves had a single and two RBI. Eric Nunez and Frank Pacheco each had doubles for New London.
• Pawcatuck/North Stonington defeated East Lyme 4-2 on Saturday as Drew Champagne went the distance and also had a double. Ian Spraklin was 2-for-3 with a double for Pawcatuck while Owen Robbins had three doubles for East Lyme and Jamie Westcott had two hits.
District 10 baseball (9-10)
• Waterford forced a third and deciding game for the District 10 championship with a 14-9 win in Game 2. Logan Avin pitched 4 2/3 innings to earn the win while Jordan Elci had four hits, including three doubles, to lead the Waterford offense, while Connor Rowe added two hits and Will Rocchetti had a triple. Cam McGugan had three hits for Mystic and Collin Anderson doubled.
• Mystic defeated Waterford 5-3 in Game 1 of the best-of-three championship series on Saturday. Jason Erb was the winning pitcher and also had two hits and two RBI for Mystic while Cam McGugan had three hits and scored twice and Timmy Lynch had a single and double. Will Rochetti had a double and Gavin Hernandez an RBI single for Waterford.
• Keith Rocco picked up his seventh win of the season in the SK Modified division, winning the 100-lap feature late Saturday night. Rocco rose steadily rising through the pack until he landed in the lead by lap-34 and was in control the rest of the way. Rob Janovic Jr. of Waterford finished second and Rocco's brother Jeff was third.