Local roundup: Waterford softball earns 9-10 title
East Lyme — Gabriela Kramer struck out 13 and singled as Waterford beat Ledyard 6-0 Wednesday to clinch the District 10 9-10-year-old Little League softball title.
Bella Williams had two hits, including a triple, and Milena Walker tripled for Waterford, which won the best-of-three series by taking game one Monday (5-1) and game three Wednesday. Mia Chiappone added a single.
Samantha Money struck out 14 for Ledyard and Siera Mims singled. Ledyard won game two of the series Tuesday (8-2).
New York-Penn League
• Jose Marmolejos-Diaz had an RBI triple and scored as the Auburn Doubledays beat the Connecticut Tigers 3-1 before 1,162 fans at Dodd Stadium. Willie Medina had two hits, including a double, and scored for Auburn (11-15). Domingo Leyba doubled and scored for the Tigers (12-14) and Franklin Navarro hit an RBI double.
• The Mystic Schooners opened a three-game road trip with a 5-4 loss at Sanford (Maine) in the New England Collegiate Baseball League. Andrew Hinckley (UConn-Avery Point) had two of Mystic's seven hits while Toby Handley and Jared Hendren each had a hit and RBI. Aaron Hill (UConn) added an RBI for the Schooners, who have today off before traveling to Plymouth, Mass., for a game on Friday.
American Legion Zone VI
• Troy Stefanski went 3-for-4, including two doubles, and Jordan Kowalski had two hits as Ledyard-Pawcatuck beat Niantic 6-5. Mike Morgan hit a two-run home run for Niantic and Hunter Sheffield doubled.
District 6 Babe Ruth (15)
• Michael Cohan pitched a two-hitter as East Lyme edged New London 2-1 in the losers' bracket final of the 15-year-old tournament. Jon Keens hit a game-winning RBI single in the sixth inning for East Lyme, which will play at Waterford in today's final (5:30 p.m.)
• Tyler Mikula pitched a four-hitter with eight strikeouts as the Panera Pirates trounced Northeast Nine on Tuesday night, 13-0. Adam Regnere had two hits, two runs and three stolen bases for the Pirates and Scott O'Neil had two hits and three RBI. John Tycz had two hits for Northeast.
District 10 baseball (10-11)
• Nolan Connolly had three hits, including two doubles, with an RBI and three runs scored as East Lyme topped Pawcatuck 11-6 in the semifinals of the tournament. Daniel Singer earned the victory for East Lyme, Willy Kane had a single and double with an RBI and run scored, Matt Orefice had a double and scored and Carter Chambers had two singles and two RBI. Jack Hardy had an RBI double for Pawcatuck and Conner Melsinsky, Ethan McCarthy, Drew Champagne, Ian Spranklin, Jacob Joyce and Lucas Hollsman had singles. East Lyme will play Waterford in the best-of-three championship series beginning Friday at East Lyme.
• Waterford pitchers Trevor D'Amico and Ryan O'Connell combined to shut out Lyme/Old Lyme 2-0 in the other semifinal, sending Waterford to the championship series. O'Connell pitched three perfect innings to finish the game, striking out seven. Robert Zawacki had three hits and Trey Brennan doubled for Waterford. Tait Sawden had two hits for Lyme/Old Lyme.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES