- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- 2015 In Review
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Norwich - Garrett Mattlage walked with the bases loaded and two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning to force home Steven Fuentes as the Connecticut Tigers rallied to beat the Brooklyn Mets on Saturday night, 4-3 in a New York-Penn League game at Dodd Stadium.
Connecticut (13-16) scored a run in each of the last three innings.
Mattlage scored on a throwing error with two outs in the bottom of the eighth to tie the game at 3. He walked three times and scored twice.
Ross Kivett had two hits, including a double, and scored for the Tigers and Joseph Pankake had a double and two RBI. Connecticut's Johan Belisario (3-0) came on in relief with runners at first and second with one out in the top of the ninth. He struck out the next two batters.
• Buck McCarthy (Bryant) went 3-for-4, including a triple, with five RBI and a run as the Ocean State Waves topped the Mystic Schooners 11-4. Toby Handley had two hits and two RBI for the Schooners (15-10) and Jared Hendren (Heartland CC) added two hits and two runs. Also, Brad Zunica (Miami) had a solo home run.
American Legion Zone VI
• Quantique White pitched a six-hitter with 11 strikeouts and Izzy Davila and Justin Marceau each had three hits, two RBI and a run as New London beat Moosup 8-3 in the first game of a doubleheader. Gabriel Diaz had three hits and two runs for New London. Moosup won the second game 2-0.
State Babe Ruth (13)
• Doyle Connolly pitched a complete game with six strikeouts as East Lyme opened the state tournament with a 7-3 win over Oxford at McMahon High School. Jacob Diaz had two hits, including a double, with two RBI for East Lyme and Matt Malcom added two hits, including a double. East Lyme will play Wilton today at the same site (3 p.m.)
• Bobby Silva pitched four innings and added three hits as Waterford beat North Haven 11-6 in its first game of the state tournament. Max Adams had three hits for Waterford and Dylan Bosco and Liam Spellman each tripled. Waterford will face Norwalk at 12:30 p.m. today.
District 10 Little League baseball (10-11)
• Carter Chambers and Nolan Connolly pitched East Lyme past Waterford 9-7 to win the championship in two games. Owen Robbins had three hits, including a double, with four RBI and two runs, Nolan Connolly doubled and had three runs, and Ben Orefice had two hits, a run and an RBI for East Lyme. Dan Allard added a double and two RBI. Robert Zawacki had two hits, including a double, with two RBI and a run for Waterford and Ben Jerome added two hits and two runs.
State Little League softball (11-12)
• Megan Condot struck out five and Kolby Sirowich drove in the game's only run as Seymour edged Mystic 1-0 in the first game of the best-of-three series at Orange's Old Tavern Complex. Aspen Ryan singled for Mystic. Game 2 is today at the same site (4 p.m.)