- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
New London - Waterford's Sam Alexander won the Charter Oak Sailfest 5K Road Race on Sunday morning.
Alexander, 24, finished in 15 minutes, 32 seconds to defeat New London's Lee Cattanach, who was second in 15:59.
Nicholas Migani finished third followed by Oakdale's Jesse Joseph and New London's Jordan Lee.
The top female finisher was 15-year-old Julia Lambert of Virginia Beach (Va.), who placed 16th overall in 20:04.
State Babe Ruth (14)
• Collin Bakken and Mike Burrows combined to pitch a one-hitter for the second day in a row as Waterford defeated Norwalk 6-1 to improve to 2-0 in the round-robin portion of the Connecticut Babe Ruth (14) tournament at New Milford. T.J. McBride singled, triple and scored a run for Waterford while Walker Sutman had a single, double and one RBI, Bakken doubled and drove in two runs and Mason Knutson had two hits and an RBI.
• Waterford won its opening game Saturday night with a 4-2 win over Stamford behind the combined one-hit pitching of Bakken and Burrows. Burrows and Glen Faber each had a hit and two RBI, McBride had two hits and scored a run and Knutson doubled, singled and scored a run.
State Babe Ruth (13)
• East Lyme improved to 2-0 in the round-robin portion of the Connecticut Babe Ruth (13) tournament with a 9-4 win over Wilton in Norwalk. Tom Mason went 4-for-4 with two doubles and three runs scored for East Lyme, which concludes pool play on Tuesday against Trumbull.
• Waterford also improved to 2-0 with a 15-5, five inning win over host Norwalk. Max Adams went the distance for Waterford while Kyle Kobyluck had a double, triple and three RBI, Peter Turello had three hits, including a double, and Drew Rocchetti had two hits and two RBI.
• Six members of the Mystic Schooners, including Groton's Aaron Hill (UConn), were named to the NECBL Southern Division All-Star team. Outfielder Toby Handley (Stony Brook) and designated hitter Steve Laurino (Marist) were named to the starting team while Hill, a shortstop, is a reserve along with pitcher Jared Hendren (Heartland CC), catcher Tyler Boyd (Seton Hall) and second baseman Dan Hoy (Princeton). The Southern Division will play the Northern Division in the annual NECBL All-Star game on Sunday, July 20, at MacKenzie Stadium in Holyoke, Mass.
• Fernando Prez pitched five shutout innings and Kasey Coffman was 2-for-3, including a two-run double in the first inning, as the Connecticut Tigers defeated the Brooklyn Cyclones 6-0 at Dodd Stadium. Jacob Kapstein added a pair of hits for the Tigers (14-16).
• Lee Elci had three hits, including a double, as Panera Pirates defeated Northeast Nine 15-2 at Washington Park. Sawyer Gregory added a single and triple while Tony LaLima and Zach Wood each had a single and double for the Pirates and Dave Pirman went the distance to earn the win. Matt Young had two hits, including a double, for Northeast Nine.
SEC 16-18 Babe Ruth
• Trey Zaharek scattered four hits and struck out 11 as Waterford defeated Ledyard in a SEC 16-18 Babe Ruth game. Dylan Konakowitz had two hits for Waterford while Clay McKittrick drove in two runs and Griffin Beaney scored twice.
• Joey Nieszczezewski pitched a complete game with five strikeouts as Tri-County Salem defeated Ledyard 12-1 on Saturday night. Ian Giancarlo went 4-for-4 with two doubles and three runs scored for Salem and Austin Olzacki added two hits.