Local roundup: Waterford 14s advance to Babe Ruth state final
New Milford - Collin Bakken pitched a four-hitter and Glen Faber drove in four runs as Waterford beat Simsbury 10-1 in the semifinals of the Connecticut State Babe Ruth baseball tournament (age 14) Friday night.
Waterford plays the Trumbull-Norwalk winner in the final today at 10 a.m. Ed Aledia had three hits, Bakken had two hits and scored twice and Faber, Aledia and Bakken had doubles for Waterford.
• Waterford finished pool play with a 6-5 win over Danbury on Thursday night. Quinn Ryan picked up the win in relief, allowing just three singles over six innings. Mike Burrows and Faber had doubles for Waterford and Burrows scored twice.
State Div. 3 baseball (11-12)
• Host East Lyme was eliminated from the Connecticut Division 3 Little League (11-12) tournament, losing to Madison 20-10 in the losers' bracket. Madison will play unbeaten Newington in the championship round on Saturday at 6 p.m.
State Div. 3 baseball (10-11)
• East Lyme was eliminated from the Connecticut Division 3 Little League (10-11) tournament, losing to Coginchaug 14-11 in the losers' bracket at East Hampton. Coginchaug will play unbeaten Newington in the championship round at Saturday at noon.
State Div. 3 softball (9-10)
• Madison/Clinton swept the best-of-three Little League Division 3 series with a 12-3 win over Waterford in Game 2. Maddie Burrows drove in two runs for Waterford while Lily Marelli doubled and Amy Pinch singled.
New York-Penn. League
• The Mahoning Valley Scrappers scored six runs in the bottom of the fourth inning and went on to beat the Connecticut Tigers 9-2. Ross Kivett and Ben Verlander drove in runs for the Tigers (16-18). Rashad Brown's RBI double in the top of the 14th inning lifted the Tigers to a 10-9 win over the Scrappers Thursday night. The game took 4:48 to play. Domingo Leyba and Brown had three hits each for the Tigers (16-17).
• Four Ocean State pitchers combined to pitch a four-hitter as the Waves beat the Mystic Schooners 5-0. Stephen Laurino (Marist) singled and doubled for Mystic (16-13).
American Legion Zone VI
• Ledyard/Pawcatuck completed its season with a 5-4 loss to Jewett City. Mike Dellaporta had two hits for Ledyard/Pawcatuck (13-17).
SEC 16-18 Babe Ruth
• Josh Hudak pitched a two-hitter with six strikeouts as Tri-County Hebron beat Ledyard 3-1. Josh Rahal took the loss, pitching a six-hitter.
• Griffin Beaney drove in four runs as Waterford beat East Lyme 12-4 Thursday. Ryan Miller and Frankie Zawacki drove in two runs each, Dylan Konakowitz and Michael Gianakos had two hits each and Beaney singled, doubled and tripled for Waterford (9-5). Anthony Carambot had two hits and drove in three runs for East Lyme (4-9). Cody Cleary was the winning pitcher.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA