- Living Their Faith
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
New London - Izzy Davila pitched a three-hitter as New London beat Bristol 7-0 in a Northern Sectional playoff game in the American Legion baseball state tournament Sunday at Sal Amanti Field.
No. 10 New London plays at No. 7 Niantic in a second-round game today at East Lyme High School at 4:30 p.m. The winner advances to a best-of-three Northern Regional series against No. 2 Tolland, starting Wednesday.
Davila struck out two with three walks. Peter Aldrich had three hits, including a three-run double in the second inning, and Davila doubled twice, scored a run and drove in a run. Jeremy Santos had two hits and scored a run and Gabriel Diaz tripled for New London.
• Mike Morgan had two hits, including a two-run double, as Niantic advanced with a 4-2 win over Rockville. Connor Elliott was the winner, allowing six hits over eight innings. Hunter Sheffield had two hits and Bill Buscetto doubled for Niantic.
New York-Penn League
• The Connecticut Tigers swept a doubleheader from the Batavia Muskdogs, winning the opener 5-3 and the second game 2-0. Fernando Perez (3-2) pitched 5 2-3 solid innings for the win in the first game, striking out two with no walks. Three pitchers combined to pitch a four-hitter in the nightcap with Josh Laxer (1-0) going the final two innings for the win.
Ross Kivett and Steven Fuentes drove in two runs each for the Tigers (18-18) in the opener, Jacob Kapstein had two hits and scored twice and Garrett Mattlage and Kivett had two hits each. Joseph Pankake had a pair of doubles and Domingo Leyba and Will Maddox had two hits each for Connecticut in the second game.
State Babe Ruth (15)
• Waterford improved to 2-0 in pool play with an 8-3 win over New Milford in the state tournament, which it is hosting. Alex Petchark and Chase Speller drove in three runs each and Corey Conderino had three hits, including a double, and scored twice for Waterford. Speller had two doubles and Petchark singled and doubled. Steve Gerovitz was the winner, allowing six hits over 5 2-3 innings with three strikeouts. Tyler Howser got the final four outs. Tee Vaughey had two hits and Matt Ryan and Paul Ryan doubled for New Milford.
SEC 16-18 Babe Ruth
• Clay McKittrick drove in a pair of runs as Waterford beat Tri-County Hebron 4-2. Trey Zaharek went the first five innings for the win, alllowing three hits with seven strikeouts. Michael Gianakos earned a save, allowing one hit over the last two innings. Chris O'Neil and John Lavenburg combined to pitch a two-hitter for Tri-County.
State Division 3 baseball (9-10)
• Mystic advanced with a 7-5 win over Madison. Mystic, which went 3-0 in the Division 3 tournament, will play the Division 4 champion in a best-of-three series.