- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Pawcatuck - Pawcatuck captured the Connecticut Junior League (13-14) Section II softball championship Tuesday night with a 12-1 win over Enfield/Windsor Locks.
Pawcatuck won all three of its games in the double-elimination tournament and will play Seymour in a best-of-three series for the state championship beginning on Saturday at Stankye Field in Orange at 7 p.m. Seymour won the Section I title with an 8-3 win over Fairfield.
H.S. boys' lacrosse
• Dean Patty, who played collegiately at Division I Franklin Pierce (N.H.) and has been the junior varsity coach at East Lyme for the past six years, is the new varsity coach at Stonington, athletic director Bryan Morrone announced.
"East Lyme continues to be the pinnacle of success within the Eastern Connecticut Conference, and I believe that type of success can be had at Stonington with the leadership, knowledge and experience of Coach Patty," Morrone said.
New York-Penn League
• The Tri-City ValleyCats scored a run in the top of the ninth inning to break a tie and held on to beat the Connecticut Tigers 4-3.
Joseph Pankake was 3-for-4 with an RBI and a run scored and singled home Garrett Mattlage in the bottom of the eighth to tie the game at 3-3.
Rashad Brown and Ross Kivett had two hits each for the Tigers (19-19).
Sutera tournament (11-12)
• Joey Hinckley drove in two runs as Pawcatuck beat Waterford 13-1. Nate Hopkins had two this for Pawcatuck and Bowen Baker and J.J. McKenna combined for the victory.
Sutera tournament (9-10)
• Kyle Egan struck out eight as he pitched New London to a 9-0 win over Montville. Egan doubled and had two singles and Eliseo Burgos, Edgar Mateo and Hunter MacDuff had two hits each for New London.
• Three pitchers limited Full Scale Electricians to just three hits as Johnny Rockets rolled to a 6-0 ECML win on Monday night. David Hall had a single, triple and two RBI for Johnny Rockets and Corey Wilcox and Bob Chmiel added two hits apiece. Jimmy Pandolfe had two hits for Full Scale.