- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Waterford - Jake Gannon pitched a two-hitter as Waterford advanced to the Connecticut Babe Ruth baseball 15-year-old championship game with a 10-0 victory over Danbury in the semifinals on Friday night.
The game was stopped after five innings due to the 10-run rule.
The District 6 champs, who are 4-0 in the tournament, play Stamford for the state title today at 1 p.m. at the Waterford Babe Ruth Field. Stamford advanced on Thursday with a 5-4 win over New Milford. Today's winner advances to the New England tournament, which begins Friday, Aug. 1 in Manchester, Mass.
Steve Gerovitz and Corey Conderino hit solo home runs in the fourth inning to spark Waterford. Gerovitz finished 2-for-2 with two runs, Conderino drove in two runs and Mike Rocchetti had two hits, including a double, with an RBI and two runs.
• Toby Handley (Stony Brook) led off the game with a homer, one of four home runs hit by the Mystic Schooners in their 9-0 rout over the Keene Swamp Bats. Groton's Aaron Hill (UConn) had two hits, including a two-run home run, for Mystic (19-15) and Dan Hoy (Princeton) had three hits, including a three-run home run. Also, Nick Ruppert (Dartmouth) had two hits, including a two-run home run, and Handley had three hits and two runs.
New York-Penn League
• Riley Palmer singled home Riley Palmer (triple) with no outs in the 10th inning to give the Aberdeen IronBirds a 2-1 win over the Connecticut Tigers. Brett Pirtle's RBI single scored Michael Gerber to tie the game at 1 in the ninth for the Tigers (20-21).
SEC Babe Ruth (16-18)
• Evan August allowed just two hits over three innings with six strikeouts and added a triple as Ledyard beat East Lyme, 7-0. Bryan Collins allowed just one run over the first five innings for East Lyme.
• Waterford begins play in the Connecticut American Legion Northern Division Super Regional today against Rocky Hill/Cromwell/Portland at Muzzy Field in Bristol at 3:30 p.m. Simsbury plays Tolland at noon in the first game of the four team double-elimination event, which will crown a champion either Tuesday or Wednesday. The winner will then advance to play the Southern Division champion in a best-of-three series for the state title at Cubeta Stadium in Stamford.
• Connecticut champion Waterford begins play in the New England Babe Ruth 13-year-old tournament at 7 tonight against the Western Massachusetts champion at High Meadow Field in Newtown. The eight-team double-elimination event will conclude with its championship round on Thursday, July 30, starting at 4 p.m.
• District 10 champion Mystic begins a best-of-three series against Fairfield National today at 4 p.m. for the Connecticut Little League 9-10 year-old championship.
The series will be held at Brookside Park in Ellington. Mystic advanced by winning the Section II title.
• Pawcatuck begins a best-of-three series against Seymour today at 7 p.m. for the Connecticut Junior League 13-14 year-old championship. The series will be played at Stankye Field in Orange.
Sutera tournament (11-12)
• Kenny Heon pitched a one-hitter with seven strikeouts and Zach Southard had four hits, including three doubles, lead Montville over New London 11-0. Heon had two hits and Nick Calash had three hits, including a home run, for Montville. Robert Otanez had the lone hit for New London.
• Giovanni Valentine struck out 10 and Marish Rane-Castrodad got the save as Mystic defeated Pawcatuck 5-0. Pacey Steele had two hits for Mystic while Shea Kenney, Andrew Kerst and Drew McCormack each had doubles. R.J. Parilla had the only hit for Pawcatuck.
Sutera tournament (9-10)
• Ryan Wei and Owen Elmer had two hits each and Zack Cabral and Gavin O'Brien each hit doubles as East Lyme defeated Groton 13-0. Rimero Zavala had the only hit for Groton.