- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Bristol - Cole Ogorzalek scattered seven hits and struck out 12 as Rocky Hill/Cromwell/Portland defeated Waterford 4-1 in the first round of the Connecticut American Legion baseball Northern Division Super Regional at Muzzy Field on Saturday.
Waterford will play Tolland, a 6-1 loser to Simsbury, in the losers' bracket of the double-elimination tournament today at 1 p.m.
Kyle Willoughby drove in Waterford's lone run with a base hit in the first while Adam Goss and Jesse Coates had two hits apiece for the Zone 6 champions.
Alex Ramirez drove in three runs for RCP, including a two-run single in the bottom of the first that immediately wiped out Waterford's early 1-0 advantage. He added a sacrifice fly in a two-run fifth.
New England Babe Ruth (13)
• Waterford was beaten by Westfield (Mass.) 7-3 in the opening round of the New England Babe Ruth 13-year-old tournament at Newtown. Waterford, the Connecticut champion, will play Warwick (R.I.) in a losers' bracket game today at 1 p.m. Warwick lost to Arlington (Mass.) 4-2.
• Nolan Long picked up his first win of the season as the Mystic Schooners beat the Newport Gulls 8-3. Waterford's Long (Wagner) allowed five hits and two runs over six innings with five strikeouts and one walk. Mystic (20-15) led 4-3 before breaking the game open with four runs in the bottom of the eighth inning, highlighted by a two-run homer by Nick Ruppert (Dartmouth). Dan Hoy (Princeton) was 4-for-4 and scored twice, Lou Ianotti (Quinnipiac) had three doubles and drove in two runs and Ruppert drove in three runs.
New York-Penn League
• Michael Gerber hit a two-run homer in the top of the ninth inning as the Connecticut Tigers beat the Aberdeen Ironbirds 2-0. Rashad Brown stole two bases and scored a run and Franklin Navarro tripled for the Tigers (21-21).
Sutera tournament (11-12)
• Waterford defeated East Lyme 7-2 behind the pitching of Aaron Piotrowski. Oscar Pena, Alex Vasiliou and Joe Lathrop had two hits apiece for Waterford (each also had a double) while Dylan McDonald added a double for East Lyme.
• Groton defeated Lyme-Old Lyme 11-1 as Jack McDowell had three hits, including a three-run double. Kyle Egan added a three-run home run, Tyler Miller had two hits, including a home run, and Sam Lambert had a single and double.
Sutera tournament (9-10)
• Lyme-Old Lyme defeated Groton 21-6 as Avery Wyman, Pat Flanagan and Chad Coughlin had two hits apiece. Ramiro Zavala had a triple for Groton.
• New London defeated Mystic 13-7 as winning pitcher Kenny Miller had six strikeouits and also contributed two hits, including a double. Edgar Mateo added two hits and Hunter McDuff double for New London while Nate McCormack had two hits for Mystic.
• East Lyme defeated Waterford 10-0 as Nathan Licitra, Ryan Wei and Will Anglin combined to pitch a shutout and Zach Cabral drove in three runs. Anthony Sandora had a triple for Waterford.