Local roundup: Hill leads Schooners to victory
Groton - Aaron Hill's two-run double highlighted a four-run sixth inning that lifted the Mystic Schooners to a 5-4 win over the Keene Swamp Bats in a New England Collegiate Baseball League game Sunday night.
Hill, the former Fitch High School standout who plays at UConn, came around to score on an error after the double. Waterford's A.J. Turnier (Southern Connecticut) earned the win in relief and Toby Handley (Stony Brook) was 3-for-4 for the Schooners (21-15).
Connecticut Little League (9-10)
• Mystic beat Fairfield National 9-8 to even the best-of-three state final at Ellington. The teams play the deciding game today at 5:45 p.m. Mystic lost the opener 10-6 on Saturday. Colin Anderson had two hits and drove in two runs, Jason Erb drove in two runs and Timmy Lynch scored twice for Mystic.
• Ben Clough led off the bottom of the 15th inning with a home run as Tolland beat Waterford 5-4 in the Northern Division super regional tournament at Bristol. Will Sherman singled, tripled and scored twice and Brent Conderino and James Foti had three hits each for Waterford. Adam Goss and Connor Lewis added two hits each and Kevin Johnson scored twice for the Zone VI champions, who were eliminated.
New England Babe Ruth (13)
• Waterford stayed alive with a 12-2 win over Rhode Island champion Warwick at Newtown. Waterford plays Maine champion Portland in a losers' bracket game today at 7 p.m.
New York-Penn League
• Renzo Martini's grand slam highlighted a five-run sixth inning that led the Staten Island Yankees to a 7-1 win over the Connecticut Tigers. Jacob Kapstein's sacrifice fly in the eighth inning accounted for the Tigers' run.
Sutera tournament (11-12)
• Manish Rane-Castrodad struck out nine and Jonathan Cooper hit a three-run triple as Mystic beat Montville 7-5. Brett Noreika hit a home run and Sam Davis and Giovanni Valentine had two hits each for Mystic. Ryan Champagne homered for Montville.
• Groton rallied to beat Pawcatuck 7-3 as Jack McDowell struck out seven and hit a two-run home run and Tyler Miller had two hits. Pawcatuck took a 3-0 lead on R.J. Parrilla's two-run homer and Bowen Baker's solo shot.
• Chris Medina pitched a no-hitter with nine strikeouts as New London beat Waterford 15-0. Robert Otanez, Christopher Watrous and Gerjuan Tyus had two hits each for New London.
Sutera tournament (9-10)
• Anthony Sharples drove in the winning run in the bottom of the sixth inning as Waterford beat Montville 3-2. Winning pitcher Quinn Sylvia struck out 11 and Bryan Wielachowski had two doubles for Waterford. Andrew Benoit doubled for Montville.
• Gavin O'Brien had three hits, including a pair of doubles, as East Lyme beat New London 15-5. Owen Elmer and Nathan Licitra combined for the win. Julian Baez and Elmer had doubles for East Lyme.
Kenny Miller (triple), Hunter MacDuff and Anthony Martinez each had two hits for New London.
• Matt Robinson had four hits as Mystic beat Lyme-Old Lyme 21-11. Jackson LaLima and Robinson each had a double and triple for Mystic. Aidan Whitten was the winning pitcher and Aidan Powers had two hits for Lyme-Old Lyme.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES