- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Newtown - Waterford scored five runs in the bottom of the sixth inning to rally for a 5-4 win over host Newtown in a losers' bracket game Tuesday at the New England Babe Ruth Baseball 13-year-old tournament.
Waterford plays Westfield (Mass.) in the losers' bracket final today at 6 p.m. The winner advances to the championship round against Maine champion Portland.
Bobby Silva had two hits, including a game-tying two-run double, and Trevor Yeomans gave Waterford the lead with an RBI single. Dylan Bosco got the win, pitching five scoreless innings in relief. Bosco allowed one hit and struck out seven.
Connecticut Open golf
• Adam Rainaud of Black Hall Club shot the low round at the 80th Connecticut Open Championship, with a 6-under-par 64 during the second round of play at Rolling Hills Country Club in Wilton.
Rainaud, an assistant professional at Black Hall, is tied for second place with Frank Bensel of Fairfield and Jason Caron of Stamford at 137. David Pastore of Oak Hills Park Golf Course in Norwalk leads at 136. Rainaud was the only local golfer to make the cut. In today's final round, Rainaud is in the final pairing with Pastore, going off at 10:30 a.m.
"I've just been driving the ball so straight and I'm hitting a lot of greens so if I make a few putts I feel like I can do something," said Rainaud. "I'm actually playing very aggressively, hitting driver on every hole, except the par threes obviously, but that's the best part of my game."
• Brad Zunica (Miami) had two home runs, three RBI and scored twice to as the Mystic Schooners trounced the North Adams SteepleCats, 8-1. Zachary Weigel (Seton Hall) had two doubles and scored twice for Mystic (21-15) and Alex Vargas (Monroe College) allowed three hits over six innings to earn the win. Luke Maglich (South Florida) scored for the SteepleCats (16-19).
New York-Penn League
• Joseph Pankake had three hits, including a double, and scored as the Connecticut Tigers beat the Staten Island Yankees, 4-1, before 1,947 at Dodd Stadium. Rashad Brown had two hits and scored for the Tigers (23-22) and Michael Gerber and Brett Pirtle each had a single, a run and an RBI. Jake Anderson had two hits and scored for the Yankees (22-23).
Connecticut LL baseball (9-10)
• Mystic, which defeated Fairfield National 5-3 Monday to win the state title, opens pool play against Maine champion Scarborough on Saturday at 1 p.m., in the Eastern Regional at Cranston, R.I. In Monday's win, Ryan O'Connor hit a three-run homer and picked up the save. Jeffrey Lalima was the winner with relief help from Jackson Bufmack. Colin Startz, Jason Erb and Cam McGugan also had hits for Mystic.
SEC 16-18 Babe Ruth playoffs
• Matt Garcia pitched a four-hitter at Tri-County Hebron beat Ledyard 3-2. Chris O'Neil had two hits for Hebron.
Sutera tournament (11-12)
• Winning pitcher Chip Kamercia struck out six as Groton defeated New London, 8-3. Kyle Egan hit a home run and Tyler Miller had two hits, including a double, for Groton. Wilmer Diaz and Gerjaun Tyus both doubled for New London.
Sutera tournament (9-10)
• Jackson Long had three hits, including two doubles as Waterford beat Mystic, 11-5. Evan Piotrowski had three hits, including a triple, for Waterford and Tyler Piccolo struck out five to get the win.