- 2016 Elections
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Newtown - Waterford advanced to the championship round at the New England Babe Ruth Baseball 13-year-old tournament with a 5-4 win over Westfield, Mass., in the losers' bracket final Wednesday night.
Waterford will play undefeated Portland, Maine, in the double-elimination tournament at 4 p.m. today. A second game will follow if Waterford wins.
Bobby Silva earned the win, allowing four runs over 6 1-3 innings, and Dylan Bosco finished up and earned a save. Peter Turello drove in two runs and Silva had a run-scoring triple for Waterford.
SEC16-18 Babe Ruth
• Waterford advanced to the championship with an 8-1 win over Tri-County Hebron. Justin Pandolfe and Michael Gianakos combined to pitch a four-hitter. Pandolfe earned the win, allowing two hits and no runs over five innings with seven strikeouts. Ryan Miller drove in two runs, Trey Zaharek scored twice and Griffin Beaney doubled for Waterford. Tri-County Hebron plays Ledyard in the losers' bracket final today.
• The Laconia Muskrats scored four runs in the bottom of the sixth inning and held on to beat the Mystic Schooners 6-3 in a seven-inning game, the first of a doubleheader. Brad Zunica (Miami) had given the Schooners a 3-2 lead with a two-run homer in the top of the sixth. Mystic (22-16) got its other run when Niantic's Chase Livingston (Rhode Island) scored on a sacrifice fly by Zachary Weigel (Dartmouth) in the third.
Pawcatuck's Doug Domnarski (UConn-Avery Point) pitched the first five innings, allowing seven hits and two runs (one earned). Conor Gleason, the former Wheeler High School standout now playing at Franklin Pierce, took the loss.
Connecticut Open golf
• Adam Rainaud from Black Hall Club finished in a three-way tie for seventh at the 80th Connecticut Open Championship at Rolling Hills Country Club in Wilton. Rainaud, was tied for second place entering the final round, and shot a 1-over-par 71 in the final round. Frank Bensel of Fairfield, who shot a 66 in the final round, won with a score of 203. Rainaud finished at 208.
Sutera tournament (11-12)
• Nick Calash singled, hit a three-run homer and earned the win in relief as Montville beat Groton 11-8 in the losers' bracket final. Ryan Champagne and Kenny Heon homered, Zach Southard had two hits and Nick Bonner earned a save for Montville. Tyler Miller doubled and hit a three-run homer and Jack McDowell had two hits for Groton.
Sutera tournament (9-10)
• New London advanced to the finals against East Lyme with a 3-2 win over Waterford in seven innings. Kyle Egan was the winning pitcher and Guisseppie Satti struck out the final batter for the save. Kenny Miller had three doubles for New London. Logan Peabody pitched six innings for Waterford.