- Make A Difference
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Waterford - Nick Bonner pitched a three-hitteras Montville won the Gene Sutera Memorial 11-12 year-old baseball tournament for the first time with a 1-0 victory over Mystic on Saturday morning.
Mystic's Manish Rene-Castrodad also pitched a three-hitter, allowing an unearned run in the bottom of the first when Ryan Champagne single and later scored on an error.
Champagne had two hits and Zach Southard one for Montville, which came out of the losers' bracket to beat Mystic twice in the championship round while Rene-Castrodad, Andrew Kerst and Jonathan Cooper each had one hit for Mystic.
The tournament, which has awarded over $20,000 in scholarships since 2005, presented scholarships this year to Joe Hajj, Jesse Coates, Dan Martin and Matt LaBrecque.
New England Babe Ruth (15)
• Waterford won its opening game in the New England Babe Ruth 15-year-old baseball tournament with an 8-3 win over Pittsfield (Mass.) in Manchester, N.H. The Connecticut champions advance to the winners' bracket of the double-elimination event and will the winner of a first round game between Cranston (R.I.) and Plymouth (Mass.) today at 4 p.m.
Eastern Regional LL (9-10)
• Mystic opened play in the New England pool of the Eastern Regional 9-10 year-old baseball tournament with a 6-4 win over Scarborough (Maine) in Cranston, R.I. The District 10 and Connecticut champions will Concord (N.H.) today at 2:30 p.m. Concord had an opening day bye.
• The Mystic Schooners wrapped up their regular season with a 4-2 win over the Danbury Westerners. Dan Hoy (Princeton) had three hits, including two doubles, and Groton's Aaron Hill (UConn) had two hits for the Schooners (23-19). Frank Trimarco (Monmouth) got the win with two innings of scoreless relief. The Ocean State Waves (23-18) play their finale today. Mystic opens a best-of-three semifinal series Monday. If Ocean State wins, Mystic plat at No. 1 Plymouth. An Ocean State loss, and Mystic plays at No. 2 Newport.
New York-Penn League
• Marcos Medina allowed five hits over eight innings as the Brooklyn Cyclones beat the Connecticut Tigers 8-1. Medina (5-1) struck out eight with one walk. Rashad Brown had two hits for the Tigers (26-23).
SEC Babe Ruth (16-18)
• Tri-County Hebron forced a winner-take-all game for the title by defeating Waterford 13-8 on Friday night as Dominic Godi and Ryan Tate had four hits apiece, including two doubles each. Justin Pandolfe had three hits for Waterford and Trey Zaharek and Griffin Beaney added two hits apiece.
Potvin tournament (19u)
• The Connecticut Bulldogs advance to the championship round with an 8-3 win over Jewett City/Moosup Legion. Andrew Fogarty pitched a complete game four-hitter while Tristan Hurley had two hits and three RBI, Izzy Davila two hits and two RBI, and Ryan Nickerson and Kolbe Reggione each had two hits and two runs scored.
• The Bulldogs defeated the Connecticut Crush 8-2 in the first round Friday night as Anthony Carombot had three hits and three RBI, Jordan Kowalski two hits and three RBI and Davila two hits and two RBI. Ryan Cahill and Patrick Colavecchio each had two hits for the Crush.
Potvin tournament (17u)
• The Crush scored three runs in the seventh and advanced to the championship round with a 3-2 win over Clinton. Jake Coronne had a run-scoring double and Matt Spang, who earned the win in relief, drew a bases-loaded walk in the seventh. Will Trask had two hits for the Crush.
• Matt Kyle pitched a perfect game with 13 strikeouts as Clinton beat Ledyard/Pawcatuck 4-0. Dylan Ketch, Jake Ward and C.J. Caprio had two hits each for Clinton.