- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Brooklyn, N.Y. — John Mora had two hits, including a double, and scored as the Brooklyn Cyclones edged the Connecticut Tigers on Monday night, 4-3 before 6,187 fans at MCU Park.
Brooklyn scored three runs in the bottom of the first and never relinquished its edge.
Casey Meisner scattered six hits over six innings with an earned run and six strikeouts for the Cyclones (27-24).
Joseph Pankake was 4-for-4, including a double and a triple for the Tigers (27-24) and Ross Kivett had two hits, including a double.
• Ken Oslzewski had a double, two RBI and three runs as the Panera Pirates beat Griswold 11-5 to sweep its best-of-three semifinal series and advance to the World Series.
Michael Smith had two doubles and two RBI, Eric Somers had a double and two RBI, and Slater Gregory earned the win in relief for the Pirates.
Matt McNichol hit a two-run home run for Griswold and Matt Johnson added two hits.
Trudel named Mass. Maritime captain
• Niantic's John Trudel was one of five players named as a co-captain for Massachusetts Maritime football this season. Trudel, who played at Ledyard, accounted for 17 total touchdowns last year (10 passing, seven rushing) on just 94 total plays while amassing 378 yards of total offense. He also earned all-Massachusetts State Collegiate Athletic Conference honors as a punter (39.7 yard average).
• University of Cincinnati women's lacrosse player Hannah Hinsch of Lebanon, formerly of Norwich Free Academy and Northfield Mount Hermon, was named to the 2013-14 Big East All-Academic Team. Hinsch is entering her sophomore year this fall.
H.S. fall sports
• Montville High School registration is Monday, Aug. 18 at the nurse's office from noon-5 p.m. All fall athletes must register and bring a signed parent permission form, which are available in the main office. Athletes must also bring a copy of a current (within the last 13 months) physical. Football conditioning begins Aug. 18 at 5:30 p.m., all other sports begin Aug. 23. Contact: Athletic director Walt Sherwin at email@example.com.
• The New London High School football team will be holding a parent/student information night on Aug. 12 in the lecture hall at the school starting at 6:30 p.m. Required paperwork will be available. Practice for grades 9-12 begins Aug. 18 in the locker room at 4 p.m. Contact: Coach Duane Maranda at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Charity Tennis Tournament for Shriners Hospitals — Saturday, Aug. 16, matches throughout the day; organized by Waterford High School players Nisha Rajamohan, a patient at Shriners since being born without a portion of her right arm, and Lauren Rahr. Fee: $15 per entry (donations are also welcome).
Contact: Rajamohan at email@example.com or Rahr at firstname.lastname@example.org. To register, please send a check to Nisha Rajamohan, 33 Giovanni Dr., Waterford, 06385.