- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
Cranston, R.I. - Mystic advanced to the New England championship game with a 13-2 win over Massachusetts champion Braintree Tuesday at the Eastern Regional Little League Baseball (ages 9-10) tournament.
Mystic, 3-0 in pool play, has a bye today and finishes pool play Thursday against Vermont champion Essex Junction at 2 p.m. The New England championship game is Friday at 7:30 p.m.
New England Babe Ruth (15)
• Waterford's game against Vermont champion Bennington was suspended due to lightning in the New England tournament at Manchester, N.H., with Waterford leading 5-1 in the top of the fourth inning. The game will be resumed at 5 p.m. today, with the winner advancing to Thursday's championship round.
McLain at Dodd Stadium
• Denny McLain, who won a pair of Cy Young Awards for the Detroit Tigers, will be at Dodd Stadium in Norwich today. McLain will meet and greet fans, sign autographs and throw out the ceremonial first pitch before the Connecticut Tigers' game against the Jamestown Jammers, which begins at 7:05 p.m. McLain won the Cy Young in 1968 when he was the last 30-game winner in the major leagues. He was 31-6 with a 1.96 earned run average. McLain shared the 1969 award with Mike Cuellar of the Baltimore Orioles.
UConn's Roth honored
• Former UConn women's rowing student-athlete Julia Roth was recognized as a 2013-14 American Athletic Conference Scholar-Athlete Sports Excellence Award Winner. Roth, a 2013 All-Big East first team member, helped propel UConn to a third-place finish at The American Championship in Mercer County, N.J. in May. She was named to the 2013 New England All-Region Second team by Collegiate Rowing Coaches Association (CRCA) following an impressive 2013 campaign.
The Scholar-Athlete Sport Excellence Awards are given to one student-athlete in each American Athletic Conference-sponsored sport based on academic credentials, athletic accolades or performances and volunteer service to the community. Student-athletes who have attained junior academic standing and a minimum cumulative grade-point average of 3.00 are eligible. In total, 21 student-athletes throughout the league were recognized with 2013-14 Scholar-Athlete Sport Excellence Awards. The selections are made by the conference's Academic Affairs Committee.
Ironman basketball tournament
• There are openings for the Don't Foul Out Ironman Basketball Tournament at Toby May Field in New London on Friday and Saturday. The tournament is for players ages 9-17 and signups are Thursday at Toby May from 5-8 p.m., when coaches are urged to present their rosters. For more information contact Al Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
H.S. fall sports
• Montville High School registration is Monday, Aug. 18 at the nurse's office from noon-5 p.m. All fall athletes must register and bring a signed parent permission form, which are available in the main office. Athletes must also bring a copy of a current (within the last 13 months) physical. Football conditioning begins Aug. 18 at 5:30 p.m., all other sports begin Aug. 23. Contact: Athletic director Walt Sherwin at email@example.com.
• The New London High School football team will be holding a parent/student information night on Aug. 12 in the lecture hall at the school starting at 6:30 p.m. Required paperwork will be available. Practice for grades 9-12 begins Aug. 18 in the locker room at 4 p.m. Contact: Coach Duane Maranda at firstname.lastname@example.org.