Local roundup: Waterford 15s headed to regional final
Manchester, N.H. — Tyler Howser pitched a four-hitter with two earned runs as Waterford beat Bennington (Vt.) on Wednesday 7-3 to advance to today's New England Babe Ruth (15) championship game at Gill Stadium.
Waterford will play Manchester, N.H., for the title beginning at 5 p.m. A second game, if Waterford should lose the first, would follow at 8 p.m. Manchester topped Bennington 8-1 to earn its spot in the championship round.
Today's winner will reach the World Series in Longview, Wash.
For Waterford, Chase Speller had two hits, including a two-run home run in the first inning, and scored twice. Mike Rocchetti added a double and two runs.
• The Connecticut Tigers scored a run in the bottom of the ninth inning on a groundout by Garrett Mattlage to score Michael Gerber, but the team felt short in a New York-Penn League game against the Jamestown Jammers, 5-4 at Dodd Stadium. Jamestown led 5-0 after two runs in the first and three in the third.
Ross Kivett and Brett Pirtle each had two hits for the Tigers (27-25), with Ben Verlander (single) and Pirtle (double) driving in runs in the eighth to pull within 5-3.
Julio Eusebio pitched the ninth, allowing the unearned run, to earn his second save of the season for Jamestown (22-29).
• Adam Regnere had two hits, including a double, with an RBI as the Panera Pirates beat Johnny Rockets 2-0 to win Game 1 of the league's best-of-three World Series. Kenny Olszewski hit an RBI triple and Michael Smith scored for the Pirates. Ryan Brahm tripled for Rockets. Game 2 is tonight at Washington Park (5:45), and, if necessary, Game 3 would follow 30 minutes afterward.
H.S. fall sports
• Montville High School registration is Monday, Aug. 18 at the nurse's office from noon-5 p.m. All fall athletes must register and bring a signed parent permission form, which are available in the main office. Athletes must also bring a copy of a current (within the last 13 months) physical. Football conditioning begins Aug. 18 at 5:30 p.m., all other sports begin Aug. 23. Contact: Athletic director Walt Sherwin at email@example.com.
• The New London High School football team will be holding a parent/student information night on Aug. 12 in the lecture hall at the school starting at 6:30 p.m. Required paperwork will be available. Practice for grades 9-12 begins Aug. 18 in the locker room at 4 p.m. Contact: Coach Duane Maranda at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• CT Thunder 13U baseball tryouts - Saturday, Aug. 16, 2 p.m., Tyl Middle School, Montville. A newly formed team for players that were 12 and played final year of Little League. Tryout fee: $25. Contact: email@example.com
• ECSU fall baseball clinics - Sessions are on Saturday, Sept. 6 and Saturday, Oct. 4, both from 1-6 at the Eastern Connecticut State baseball field. For players in grades 9-12, cost is $125. Contact: ECSU coach Matt LaBranche at firstname.lastname@example.org or (860) 465-4516.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES