- Make A Difference
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
A press release from Submarine Group 2 says that the commanding officer of the Los Angeles-class attack submarine USS Newport News (SSN 750) was relieved of duty today by the commander of Submarine Squadron 6 at Naval Station Norfolk in Virginia.
Cmdr. Christopher Tarsa was relieved of command by Capt. Paul Snodgrass due to a loss of confidence in his ability to serve effectively as commanding officer.
The release says that the "Navy holds those in positions of command to very high standards and holds them accountable when those standards are not met." It does not provide details on any incident or conduct that led to ending Tarsa's command.
Tarsa assumed command of Newport News on Aug. 2, 2013. He has been administratively reassigned to the staff of Commander, Submarine Force Atlantic.
Cmdr. Roger Meyer, deputy commander at Submarine Squadron 6, has assumed command of Newport News until a permanent replacement is named. Meyer previously commanded USS Miami (SSN 755).