- 2016 Elections
- 2016 Lunch Debates
- Special Reports
- Maps & Data
- Dear Abby
- Games & Puzzles
- Events & Exhibits
- Food & Drink
- Arts & Music
- Movies & TV
New London – Firefighters responded to a structure fire at a house at 28 Squire St. early Friday morning. The four people sleeping in the home apparently did not notice the fire, according to New London Battalion Chief Tom Curcio. No serious injuries were reported and no one was taken to the hospital.
A neighbor called 911 at 3:17 a.m. to report a smoke alarm sounding at the house, and when firefighters arrived on scene they observed a fire through a rear second-floor window, Curcio said. Firefighters reportedly had to break into the building to extinguish the fire.
The fire was in the kitchen and is believed to have been caused by cooking materials, according to Curcio. He said the fire was under control by about 3:40 a.m. and that the building is still habitable.
When firefighters entered the building, two people sleeping on the third floor exited a bedroom and were led out by firefighters. Firefighters located an additional two people sleeping on the second floor, who Curcio said were apparently unaware of the flames.
One person cut his finger on a shard of broken glass and received medical treatment on the scene, according to Curcio. No other injuries were reported.