Salvation Army fire in Norwich ruled accidental

Norwich — The Norwich fire marshal’s office has ruled that Sunday’s fire at the Salvation Army’s 262 Main St. building was accidental.

Fire Marshal Kenneth Scandariato said the fire appears to have started in the first floor kitchen stove. The smoky fire, which compromised nearly a ton of food stored in the building along with equipment, forced the nonprofit to temporarily relocate operations.

The Salvation Army has said it likely will have to wait until after Labor Day to open its temporary facility in the basement of the United Congregational Church at 87 Broadway. The group hopes to resume the agency’s food pantry distribution next week, along with regular office hours and services.

Hide Comments


Loading comments...
Hide Comments