Local roundup: Manning solid again as Tigers blank Spinners 6-0
Lowell, Mass. — Matt Manning pitched five scoreless innings for his first professional win as the Connecticut Tigers defeated the Lowell Spinners 6-0 on Sunday night in a New York-Penn League baseball game.
Manning, who worked out a bases-loaded jam in the fourth, scattered three hits while striking out five. He has pitched 9.1 scoreless innings in two starts with 14 strikeouts.
Ted Hoffman hit his first professional home run for the Tigers (4-2) while Colby Bortles went 2-for-4.
American Legion Zone 6
• New London and Niantic split a Saturday night doubleheader, New London winning the opener 6-3 and Niantic the second game 5-2. In the opener, Trevor Bolduc pitched a two-hitter for New London (10-4-1) with seven strikeouts and Connor McCrea's two-run double in the sixth gave New London a 4-3 lead. In the second game, Niantic (9-2) scored four runs in the seventh to pull out the win as Matt Malcom doubled in a pair and Miles Coe and Liam Melewski each had an RBI single. Jeremy Santos had two hits and scored both runs for New London while Elijah Martinez had two hits and drove in a run.
SEC 16-18 Babe Ruth
• Waterford Blue defeated Waterford Red 14-2 in a game shortened to five innings due to the mercy rule. Johnny Staubley earned the win, allowing two hits with eight strikeouts, while Staubley and Jordan Hancock each had two hits, including doubles, and Noah Speller had a double for Blue (2-0). Drew Rocchetti has two hits, including a double for Red (0-2).
District 6 Babe Ruth (15)
• Zach Southard and Ben Podeszwa combined to pitch a four-hitter as Waterford beat New London 6-3. Steve Cantres had two hits and scored twice for Waterford and Southard added two hits, while Ryan Gardiner had a pair of hits for New London.
• East Lyme defeated Pawcatuck 15-8 in the losers' bracket. Sam Richardson pitched 4.2 innings to earn the win while Dyland McDonald and Nathan Ramella had two hits apiece, Noah Perry had a double and two RBI and Gus Dodge and Richardson each drove in a run. Jack Verbridge had two hits, incuding a double, for Pawcatuck.
• Groton defeated East Lyme 13-4 on Saturday night. Sam Heilig was the winning pitcher while Max Grossman had three hits, including a double, with three runs and two RBI, Sam Lambert had a double, two RBI and two runs and Kyle Egan scored three runs. Chris Abbey and Nathan Ramon each had a double for East Lyme.
District 6 Babe Ruth (14)
• Waterford advanced to the championship round with an 11-1, five-inning win over Pawcatuck. Ryan Bakken pitched a three-hitter for Waterford while Matt Sanford, Owen Coderre, Alejandro Santiago and Trevor D'Amico had multiple hit games. Bobby Dimock, Drew Champagne and Mike Melinoski each had a hit for Pawcatuck.
• Aidan Ellis allowed only two hits over four innings as East Lyme defeated Groton 19-0 in the losers' bracket. Ellis also had two hits and drove in three runs while Zachary Cabral was 3-for-3 with four runs and an RBI, Ty Chiasson had two hits and scored four runs. Aidan Dowling had two doubles, two RBI and three runs and Daniel Singer had two hits and two RBI.
District 6 Babe Ruth (13)
• Rowan Mundell's double in the bottom of the ninth inning scored Harley Perreno to give East Lyme a 1-0 victory over Waterford. Nathan Licitra pitched eight innings for East Lyme, scattering six hits, while Ryan Wei pitched a scoreless ninth, Matt Bradley had two hits, including a double, and Cannon Dean added two hits. Gavin Hernandez had three hits for Waterford while Jordan Elci had two hits and pitched six shutout innings.
District 10 softball (9-10)
• Waterford defeated Groton Mystic 7-4 as winning pitcher Alexa Collins struck out nine and went 2-for-2 at the plate with a triple and three runs scored.
• Salem/Bozrah defeated Lyme/Old Lyme 12-1 as winning pitcher Haley Smith pitched a three-hitter over five innings with 13 strikeouts. Rylee Benway had a triple, home run and two RBI for Bozrah while Abby Hale scored the run for Lyme/Old Lyme and losing pitcher Emma Baylor struck out six.
• East Lyme defeated New London 14-1 as winning pitcher Abby Robinson pitched a one-hitter with seven strikeouts over four innings and Lindsey Todd, Avery Stadler and Ava Roth each had multiple hit games. New London scored its lone run in an RBI single by Alyssa Hernandez.
• Pawcatuck outlasted Montville 27-26 as Cami Brown scored five runs and Sophia Dutra four, including the game-winner. Avao Garo went 4-for-6 with a double for Montville and Izzy Mitchell added a double.
District 10 softball (11-12)
• Groton/Mystic advance to the championship series with an 8-1 win over Ledyard in Saturday's semifinals. Charlotte Cabral went the distance allowing three hits while striking out six for Groton/Mystric while Katie Tuohy had three hits and Sydney Lyon tripled. Layla Lasisomphone, Samantha Money and Megan Dittrich each had a hit for Ledyard.
District 10 baseball (10-11)
• East Lyme defeated Waterford 19-16 on Saturday as Sebby DeCosta went 4-for-4 with three RBI and four runs, wining pitcher Alex Dreyfus had two hits, four RBI and three runs, and Peter Sherwood and Quinn Killoy had two hits apiece. Brian Inghram, Chase Linski, Kolby Quinn, Matthew Ory, Nathan DePerry and Caleb Turner had two hits each for Waterford.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES