H.S. roundup: East Lyme, NFA boys tie in ECC Div. I soccer
Norwich — East Lyme High School's Gianluca Mazzi scored three minutes into the second half to force a 2-2 tie against Norwich Free Academy in an Eastern Connecticut Conference Division I boys' soccer game.
NFA (0-1-1, 0-0-1) led 2-1 at halftime behind goals by Nathan Cherenzia and Alex Jacovic. Duncan Manthous scored a first-half goal for East Lyme (0-0-2, 0-0-1).
In other games:
• Ryan Condon scored twice as Wheeler beat St. Bernard 4-1 in an ECC Division III game. Ian Spraklin and Seth Jones also scored and Bowen Baker made 12 saves for Wheeler (1-1, 1-0). Shane Sutton scored for St. Bernard (0-2, 0-1).
• Chris Charette and Jack Woodruff both had a goal and an assist for Ledyard in its 4-0 win over New London in an ECC Division I game. Ben Gordon and Fabian May scored for the Colonels (2-0, 1-0) and Jakob Maranzano had an assist. Giuseppe Conte had 13 saves for the Whalers (0-1-1, 0-1).
• Jamison Magowan had a goal and an assist as Stonington beat Killingly 6-0 in the ECC Division II opener for both teams. Harrison Hoops and Cam Whalen had two assists each, Jack Cullen, Blake Edwards, Tyler Fidrych, Jason Kilcoyne and Max Wojtas scored goals and Rhys Hammond had an assist for the Bears (3-0, 1-0), who outshot Killingly 14-2.
• Miranda Arruda scored twice as Stonington beat Waterford 3-0 in an ECC match. Aliza Bell made five saves, Olivia Feliciano scored a goal and Trinity Lennon had an assist for the Bears (2-0, 2-0). Lili Stoddard made 14 saves for Waterford (1-1, 1-1).
• Sophomore Avery Jones scored two goals as Woodstock Academy defeated Fitch/Ledyard 4-2 in the ECC. Junior Zoe Pearse scored both goals for the Falcons (0-2).
• NFA fell to Killingly 7-2 in the ECC. Rylee Reed scored a goal and Emily Claspell made 20 saves for NFA (0-2, 0-2).
• Maddie Zrenda and Emily DeRoehn scored for Old Lyme during a 2-0 win over Morgan in the Shoreline Conference. Emily Rivera made seven saves for Old Lyme (2-0-0, 1-0-0).
• Sarah Serbascewiecz had three goals as Ledyard scored all their goals in the second half of its 6-0 win over the Public Safety/Academy of Aerospace & Engineering co-op. Shelby Olsen, Abby Dirico, and Stephanie Vetrano also scored for the Colonels (3-0).
• Katie Provost and Gloria Ng were part of victorious relays (400, medley) and each won individual events as NFA defeated Windham/Lymand 92-74 in the ECC. Provost also won the 200 individual medley and Ng won the 100 breaststroke. Anna Ciriello (diving) and Sophia Tung (100 freestyle) also won events for NFA (1-1).
• Taylor Gray won a pair of events as East Lyme beat Ledyard 102-65 in the ECC. Gray won the 200 IM (2:23.40) and the 100 breaststroke (1:11.96). Emma Vlaun, Lauren Real, Maeve Counter and Chara Proud also won events for East Lyme (2-0, 2-0) and Kate Orefice, Counter, Atena Mendez and Soleil Demars won the 200 freestyle relay. Olivia Strelevitz of Ledyard (1-1, 1-1) won the 100 freestyle (56.64) and 100 backstroke (1:05.61).
MOST VIEWED MEDIA