H.S. roundup: NFA girls beat Glastonbury for third straight
Norwich — Makalya Poirier–Vaughters scored nine points as Norwich Free Academy held Glastonbury scoreless in the first quarter and went on to defeat the Tomahawks 26-23 in a non-conference girls' basketball game on Saturday.
The Wildcats (4-6), who won their third straight, led 10-0 after one quarter and 23-13 after three before Glastonbury made things interesting in the fourth.
• East Lyme went 1-1 in the John Williams Duals at Rockville. The Vikings (3-7) defeated Rockville 24-17, but lost to Windsor 45-12. Evan Highley won both of his matches for East Lyme. In addition, the Vikings' Everett Minevich competed in the Colter Abely Invitational at Xavier and captured the 145-pound championship with a 7-4 win over Connor Massey of Notre Dame-West Haven in the final.
• Eric Zane (120) and A.J. Sachatello (132) won all three of their matches, twice by pin, for Waterford as it beat Branford (47-36) and lost to Ellis Tech (42-40) and Foran (40-40, Foran won on criteria). Logan Smith (106) won all three of his matches for Waterford (7-9).
• Andrew Bannon had two goals and an assist and Steve Turchetta added two assists as the Redhawks beat Tri-Town 4-1. Ken Beguhl and Chris Green scored for the Redhawks (3-6) and Spencer Flynn had 29 saves.
Boys' indoor track
• Montville's Greg Clark captured the 300-meter championship in 36.38 seconds during the SCC Coaches Invite at the Floyd Little Athletic Center in New Haven. In addition, Stonington's sprint medley relay team of Nicholas Benjamin, Joey Hinckley, Cam Whalen and Rhys Hammond placed second (3:40.12), Whalen was thirdin the 55 hurdles (7.83), NFA's Jahiem Spruill was third in the long jump (20 feet, 10.5 inches) and teammate Armstrong Alcius was fourth (20-9.5), Stonington's Greyson DelGrosso was third in the shot put (46-9.5) and the Bears' Shane Smith was fourth in the pole vault (12-6).
Girls' indoor track
• NFA's Ally Lewis tied the meet record by clearing 5 feet, 6 inches to win the high jump at the SCC Coaches Invite at the Floyd Little Athletic Center in New Haven. Also for NFA, Kayla Park was fifth in the 400-meter race (3:09.46) and the Wildcats' sprint medley relay team of Park, Sydney Corl, Catie Shannon and Emma Grace Rickett was fourth (4:33.95). In addition, Montville's Mady Whittaker placed fourth in the 600 (1:43.46) and Stonington's sprint medley relay team of Jessica Detwiler, Kate Reagan, Gwen Anderson and Lainnie Connor finished fifth (4:35.21).
• Fitch’s Madison Powe finished sixth in the 55 meters (7:58) and teamed with Lily Johnson, Janaya Burley, Abby Rogers to finish seventh in the 4x200 (1:51.68) at the East Coast Invitational.
• William Ventura and Nick Costa finished a combined 12-0 as New London beat NFA (7-2) and St. Bernard (9-0) in ECC boys’ foil. New London is 7-1. NFA (6-2) beat St. Bernard, 8-1. St. Bernard beat New London (7-2) and NFA (6-3) in the boys’ epee. NFA is 3-4, New London 0-2.
In the girls’ foil, Caroline Mercier won all six of her bouts to lead NFA past New London (7-2) and St. Bernard (6-3). NFA is 6-2. St. Bernard also beat New London, 9-0. New London is 1-7. Alaina Sminkey won the eighth bout to give NFA a 5-4 win over St. Bernard in the girls’ epee. NFA is 6-1.
• Ethan Rhodig had six wins for East Lyme’s foil team as it beat Griswold (9-0) and Waterford (7-2) in the ECC. Sam Ensling had five wins for Waterford, which beat Griswold (7-2). Matt Bevacqua won six bouts for East Lyme to lead it to wins over Griswold (8-1) and Waterford (5-4) in the epee. Waterford beat Griswold, 6-43.
Emily Rodgers had six wins to lead East Lyme past Griswold (9-0) and Waterford (5-4) in girls' foil. Georgie Martin won four bouts for Waterford, which beat Griswold 9-0. Brianna Smith won all six of her matches in the epee to pace Waterford past East Lyme (7-2) and Griswold (8-1). Shannon Anderson won four bouts to lead Griswold past East Lyme, 5-4.
• Fitch beat Ledyard in the boys' foil (8-1) and epee (5-4) in a tri-meet with Bacon Academy. Ledyard also beat Bacon, 5-4.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES