Local roundup: Schooners edge Gulls on Johnson's RBI single in 10th
Groton — Cam Johnson singled home Andruw Gazzola in the bottom of the 10th inning as the Mystic Schooners beat the Newport Gulls 2-1 in a New England Collegiate Baseball League game on Saturday night.
Gazzola (Stony Brook) singled to lead off the inning and, two outs later, scored on Johnson's hit. Newport sent the game to extra innings when Andrew Daschbach homered to lead off the top of the ninth.
Mystic (6-5) took the lead in the third when Nick Mascelli (Wagner) singled, moved to third on Johnson's single and scored on an error when Johnson stole second. Johnson (Davidson) had two hits.
Waterford's Connor Lewis (Hartford) started for the Schooners and allowed two hits over five innings with four strikeouts and two walks. Turner French (St. John's) earned the win.
• Ryan Castellanos pitched five scoreless innings as the Connecticut Tigers beat the Lowell Spinners 9-2 in a New York-Penn League baseball game. Castellanos (1-0) allowed two hits with one strikeout and no walks. Randel Alcantara, who homered, and Hunter Swilling drove in two runs each for the Tigers. Cole Peterson, Joey Morgan and Swilling had two hits each for the Tigers (3-2).
District 6 Babe Ruth (15)
• Ryan Hannon had two hits and Zach Southard drove in two runs as Waterford beat Pawcatuck 13-8. Steve Cantres went six innings for the win and Liam Carr and Tyler Gmyr had doubles for Waterford. Robbie Petriel, Sam Casadei and Andrew Castagliuolo had two hits each for Pawcatuck.
District 6 Babe Ruth (14)
• Bobby Dimock's two-run single highlighted a three-run top of the seventh as Pawcatuck beat East Lyme 5-1. Brandt Ogden, Lucas Jones and Nate Petriel had two hits each, Nick Abely drove in a run, Petriel scored and Drew Champagne was the winning pitcher. Ty Chiasson had two hits for East Lyme.
District 6 Babe Ruth (13)
• Will Rocchetti had three hits and drove in two runs as Waterford beat New London 13-0 in a game called after five innings on a mercy rule. Bryan Weilachowski and Rocchetti had doubles for Waterford and Logan Avin earned the win, allowing one hit over four innings.
District 10 softball (11-12)
• Waterford advanced to the championship series with a 16-0 win over Lyme/Old Lyme in a game called after four innings on a mercy rule. Emma Marelli scored three runs and drove in a run, Anna Donahue had three hits and two RBI and Jennie Sherwood drove in two runs for Waterford. Maddie Burrows and Milena Walker combined for the win and struck out 10.
District 10 baseball (9-10)
• Aiden Cochrane's RBI single lifted East Lyme to a 5-4 win over Mystic on Friday night. Jack Hayes pitched five innings and struck out five for East Lyme and Cochrane was 2-for-2. Griffin Pollard hit a two-run homer for Mystic.
• Jayden Carter drove in four runs and Dom Zulliani had three RBI as Groton beat New London 14-7 on Friday. Nick Stavesky had two hits and two RBI, Carter singled and tripled and Zulliani had two singles for Groton. Gabe Grossman was the winning pitcher, allowing two hits and two runs over 3.1 innings with six strikeouts and four walks. Eddie Torres had three hits and two RBI, Rafael Perez singled and doubled and Jahmeirre Torres had two hits for New London.
District 10 softball (9-10)
• Haley Smith struck out 10 batters over four innings as Salem/Bozrah beat Pawcatuck 15-1 on Friday. Neva Flickinger and Karly Sorrentino had three hits and scored three runs each for Salem/Bozrah. Cami Brown scored for Pawcatuck.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES