Affidavit: Groton man had eye treatment prior to fatal pedestrian accident

Eighty-two year-old George D. Evans had just left an eye doctor's appointment in December when he struck and killed Anthony McClellan in a Groton crosswalk, according to a court document.

McClellan, 51, was about halfway through the crosswalk at the intersection of Fort Hill Road and Vergennes Court when he was fatally struck by Evans' Lincoln Town Car on Dec. 15. A witness told police that McClellan had been singing, with his hands raised above his head, as he walked across the street before the 2:23 p.m. accident.

The driver, Evans, of 50 Fulton Drive, Groton, was charged last week with negligent homicide with a motor vehicle and failure to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk after town police completed an investigation and determined McClellan had the right of way.

According to an arrest warrant affidavit written by town police Patrolman John Doucette, Evans was sitting in his car when the police arrived at the scene. McClellan was lying on the ground on the north side of the roadway, unconscious, bleeding from the head and breathing. He died seven hours later at Yale-New Haven Hospital from blunt trauma to the head. Toxicology tests determined McClellan had a blood alcohol content of 0.16, and there was lidocaine in his system, according to the affidavit.

Evans told police he was coming from an ophthalmology appointment in Mystic, where his eyes had been dilated and he had undergone a laser treatment. He said his vision was not good when he left the appointment, and that he had not used any drugs or alcohol that day, according to the affidavit.

Evans said he was driving without difficulty, heading to the Groton Post Office, and was behind another car, driving 5 to 10 mph, when a man suddenly ended up on his hood. He said he heard a bump and saw a man hit his windshield, causing it to crack. He said he pulled the car forward because he saw people running to help the man, according to the affidavit. He said he didn't notice the crosswalk.

Evans told police he recently had suffered a stroke, which had affected his balance, and had other medical issues, but he said he didn't think they contributed to the accident, according to the affidavit.

The traffic was moderate to heavy at the time of the accident, and the roadway was wet from a recent rain shower, according to the document.

One witness told police that the car carried McClellan 30 feet before he rolled off and onto the street. Another said the car was traveling fast when it struck McClellan in the crosswalk. McClellan's New England Patriots cap was found in the westbound lane of the road and one of his shoes was on the sidewalk after the accident, according to the affidavit.

Evans, who is free on a $25,000 nonsurety bond, is scheduled to appear in New London Superior Court May 11. Negligent homicide with a motor vehicle is a class A misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of up to $1,000 and a prison sentence of no more than six months.


Loading comments...
Hide Comments