H.S. Soccer Roundup: Montville boys beat Ledyard to win ECC Medium
Ledyard - Jeff Tryon had two goals and an assist as the Montville boys' soccer team wrapped up the Eastern Connecticut Conference Medium Division title with a 4-1 win over Ledyard Saturday night.
Montville (13-0, 9-0) won the title outright after sharing the last two - with Ledyard last season and Bacon Academy in 2010. The Indians are ranked No. 2 in the state coaches poll (Class M-S) and play at No. 1 Bacon Academy (now in the ECC Large) on Wednesday.
Dan Pierce and Josh Handler also scored, Zack Foley had an assist and Jake Sorenson made seven saves for Montville. Walter Factor scored, Nate Haynes had an assist and Jason Smith made 11 saves for Ledyard (11-3, 7-2), which could have moved into a tie with Montville with a victory.
In other games:
• Justin Audonin had a goal and an assist in Wheeler's 3-0 win over St. Bernard in the ECC Small Divison. T.J. Condon scored two goals and goalie Jacob Sylvestre added three saves for the Lions (7-5-1, 5-3-1). The Saints fell to 2-11, 2-6-1.
• Old Lyme scored once in each half and beat Haddam-Killingworth 2-0 in a Shoreline Conference game. Leix Sibley and Gabby Vernacotola scored, Hannah Behringer had an assist and Tori Sims made six saves for Old Lyme (10-2-1, 9-1-1).
• Ali Regan, Natalie McPhee and Mackenzie Nagy each scored a goal in the second half, lifting St. Bernard past Wheeler, 3-0, in the ECC Small Division.
Goalie Alex Santiago made one save to earn the shutout for the Saints (8-2-4, 7-0-2). Jess Morgan had 15 saves for the Lions (6-7-1, 3-5-1).
• Hannah Scahill scored a pair of goals to lead Waterford to a 3-0 win over Fitch in an ECC Large Division game.
Melina Spanos had a goal and an assist, Emily Skinner had an assist and Julie Zawacki made five saves for Waterford (9-3-2, 4-3-2). Fitch (5-7-2, 1-7-1) was outshot 20-5.
• Kelly Lamb scored three goals and had an assist as Ledyard beat Montville 4-1 in an ECC Medium Division game. Alyssa Samson scored, Kayla Fowler had two assists, Lauren Scahill had an assist and Austin Graber made six saves for Ledyard (8-6, 6-3). Caitlin Turney scored and Meghan Autencio made 17 saves for Montville (5-8, 3-7).
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES