Local roundup: New London rolls past East Lyme in wrestling
East Lyme - Seniors Matt Baird (195 pounds), heavyweight Junior Cuevas, Greg Kohler (170 pounds) and Matt Strollo (120) all won by pin for New London High School in Wednesday's 66-18 win over East Lyme in the Eastern Connecticut Conference.
New London is 2-0. The Vikings are 0-2.
In other matches:
• Ledyard won nine matches by pin as it downed Fitch, 75-6, in the ECC Large. Robert Drury (120), Devon MarcAurele (126), Michael Graff (132), Matthew Jones (138), Brandon Finney (152), Ryan Wade (170), Kyle Perry (195), Alec Gabriel (220) and Benjamin Morales (285) all won by pin for the Colonels (2-0, 1-0). Jordan Kenyon won by pin for the Falcons (0-2, 0-1).
• Montville rolled to a 52-13 win over Killingly in its ECC Small Division opener. Heavyweight Ryan Murtha, Jake Caskey (132), Pat Bogan (170), McKenzie Mahn (182) and Tommy Wynosky (126) had pins and Zach Looney (113) and Jacob Schmalz (160) also won their matches for Montville (4-1).
• NFA opened its ECC Large Division schedule with a 45-25 win over Woodstock Academy. Tyler Courter (145), Jahlil Bryant (160) and John Crooks (195) had pins and Dan Britos (138), Khaleed Exum-Strong (182) and Aaron Hebert (220) also won matches for NFA (2-3).
• St. Bernard-Norwich Tech-Wheeler opened its ECC Small Division season with a 63-18 loss to Windham. Victor Calle (138), Aaron Pelletier (145) and Cas Woznica (182) had pins for St. Bernard (1-1).
H.S. girls' basketball
• Jocelyn Burgos had 14 points to lead unbeaten Goodwin Tech of New Britain past Norwich Tech, 40-21, in the Constitution State Conference. Goodwin is 5-0. Connor Sulik had five points and four steals for the Warriors (1-4, 0-2) and Elanna Sannon added seven rebounds.
H.S. boys' basketball
• Dan Martin scored 11 points and Dave Willox had 10 rebounds, leading Waterford to a 48-28 win over Killingly in an ECC Medium Division game. Donny Craig and Jordan Hamler scored eight points each for Waterford (2-1, 1-1).
• Goodwin Tech of New Britain jumped out to a 24-6 lead after one quarter and went on to beat Norwich Tech 57-27 in a CSC game. Dan Paul led Norwich Tech with 14 points.
• Ian Converse scored 34 as Woodstock Academy beat Fitch Tuesday, 85-56, in the ECC Large. Mario Grant had 15 points, Mark Evans had 12 points and Aaron Hill added 11 points for Fitch (1-2, 1-1).
• Ben Thompson had two goals to pace the NFA/St. Bernard/Bacon Academy co-op over Suffield-Granby-Windsor Locks, 4-3. Denzel Dickerson and Jason Steele scored for NFA and Joey Mitchell added an assist. Also, Jonah Beauton had 16 saves.
• Christopher Freeman scored for the Fitch-East Lyme-Ledyard co-op in its 7-1 loss to Shepaug-Litchfield-Nonnewaug.
College men's lacrosse
• Mitchell College has named four captains for the 2013 season, head coach Derek Marks announced. Peter Eshenfelder of Quaker Hill, Christopher Joy of East Lyme, Wayne Brookbanks and Demetre Lyras were unanimously selected by their teammates. All four are juniors.
Eshenfelder is a two-year starter in goal and has a 14-10 record with 257 saves in 24 starts. Joy started 10 games at midfield last season and had five goals and two assists. Lyras is also a midfielder and Brookbanks in a defender.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES