Attorney asks to sue state after Newtown shooting
NEW HAVEN (AP) — A New Haven attorney is asking permission to sue the state for $100 million on behalf of a student who survived the mass shooting at a Newtown school.
The Hartford Courant reports that attorney Irving Pinsky filed notice Thursday with Claims Commissioner J. Paul Vance Jr. The state has immunity against most lawsuits unless permission to sue is granted.
Pinsky said the 6-year-old student, identified as "Jill Doe," was in her classroom at Sandy Hook Elementary School on Dec. 14 when "the horrific confrontation" with Adam Lanza came over the loudspeaker.
Lanza killed 20 first grade students and six adult staffers at the school before killing himself.
Pinsky said the student has been traumatized by the killings, and accused the state of failing to protect students from "foreseeable harm."
Stories that may interest you
Rhode Island officials have confirmed two more human cases of eastern equine encephalitis this season
Data from the Connecticut Coalition to End Homelessness shows nearly 50% of people in homeless shelters in Connecticut over the past three years were also incarcerated at some point
U.S. health officials say there were no new measles cases reported last week