Local roundup: Turner lifts Avery Point men to win
Springfield, Mass. - Sam Turner scored 25 points, including six 3-pointers, to lead the UConn-Avery Point men's basketball team to a 71-57 win over Springfield Tech Thursday night.
Malcolm Simmons had 14 points and 11 rebounds, Philkwan Tate scored 13 with 11 rebounds and Tyler Barnes had 10 assists for Avery Point.
• Connecticut College lost to Rhode Island College 59-46 in a nonleague game.
Carlee Smith had nine points and three assists and Aly Boyle had eight rebounds and three steals for Conn (7-11).
• Christian Berg, Aidan Ely and Dakota Williams won two events each as Fitch beat Waterford 105-62 in an ECC meet. Berg won the 50-yard freestyle (22.69) and 100 breaststroke (1:09.22), Ely took the 200 individual medley (2:21.11) and 100 butterfly (1:15.54) and Williams won the 100 freestyle (52.37) and the 200 freestyle (1:59.13). Freshmen Sam Kokomoor (500 freestyle, 5:21.81) and Will Ferguson (100 backstroke, 1:12.32) also won events for Fitch (2-4, 2-4). Waterford is 2-5, 2-4.
• Rocky Hill-Middletown-RHAM scored four goals in both the first and seconds periods and beat Fitch-East Lyme-Ledyard 10-2 on Wednesday night. Topher Freeman and Kiefer Stroebel scored goals and Pete Yapchanyk and Zach Jones had assists for Fitch-East Lyme-Ledyard (0-10).
• Six wrestlers earned pins during Norwich Free Academy's 76-0 victory over East Lyme on Wednesday night in the Eastern Connecticut Conference Large Division. Tyler Courter (145), Abner Lugo Del Toro (170), Khaleed Exum-Strong (182), John Crooks (195), Aaron Hebert (220) and Jason Egbert (285) all won by pin for the Wildcats (16-11, 4-1), the fastest one going to Exum-Strong in 1:11. East Lyme is 2-12, 1-4.
• UConn-Avery Point, just two years removed from a runnerup finish in the NJCAA Division II national tournament, is ranked No. 14 in the preseason poll. The Pointers, 29-16 in 2012, are the only New England team to earn a ranking. LSU-Eunice is the preseason No. 1 selection.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES