Norwich firefighters pull woman from burning home

Get the weekly rundown
Sign up to receive our weekly Legal Insider newsletter

Norwich – City firefighters executed a "perfect" ladder rescue this afternoon of a woman trapped in her second-floor bedroom at 14 Brook St., Fire Chief Kenneth Scandariato said.

Firefighters received a call at 12:38 p.m. from a woman with a young child trapped in the bedroom with fire in the adjacent living room. The woman safely handed the child out the window to a man, who also was in the house when the fire started. The man suffered a deep laceration on his arm and was transported by ambulance to The William W. Backus Hospital, Scandariato said.

Fire crews arrived within one minute and raised a ladder to the bedroom window to allow the woman to escape. Fire could be seen raging in the background behind the woman, Scandariato said.

Firefighters aimed hand-held hoses at the fire behind the woman to keep the fire at bay as she stepped onto the ladder, Scandariato said. He credited the skill of the firefighters and repeated training in rescue drills for the success of the operation.

"It happened so fast," Scandariato said. "It was one of those critical moments when it all worked together so well. We trained and trained. Those guys just performed incredibly today."

The woman refused medical treatment, the chief said. Identities of the woman, child and the man who helped the child out of the house were not available.

While no firefighters were injured, Scandariato said, all 13 who responded were "heat exhausted."

The fire was under control within 20 minutes and was extinguished completely within 30 minutes, Scandariato said.

The cause was determined to be an overheated extension cord beneath a rug. The cord was pinched by a door jamb. The fire was accidental.

c.bessette@theday.com

By CLAIRE BESSETTE

Day Staff Writer

Norwich – City firefighters executed a "perfect" ladder rescue this afternoon of a woman trapped in her second-floor bedroom at 14 Brook St., Fire Chief Kenneth Scandariato said.

Firefighters received a call at 12:38 p.m. from a woman with a young child trapped in the bedroom with fire in the adjacent living room. The woman safely handed the child out the window to a man, who also was in the house when the fire started. The man suffered a deep laceration on his arm and was transported by ambulance to The William W. Backus Hospital, Scandariato said.

Fire crews arrived within one minute and raised a ladder to the bedroom window to allow the woman to escape. Fire could be seen raging in the background behind the woman, Scandariato said.

Firefighters aimed hand-held hoses at the fire behind the woman to keep the fire at bay as she stepped onto the ladder, Scandariato said. He credited the skill of the firefighters and repeated training in rescue drills for the success of the operation.

"It happened so fast," Scandariato said. "It was one of those critical moments when it all worked together so well. We trained and trained. Those guys just performed incredibly today."

The woman refused medical treatment, the chief said. Identities of the woman, child and the man who helped the child out of the house were not available.

While no firefighters were injured, Scandariato said all 13 responding firefighters were "heat exhausted."

The fire was put under control within 20 minutes and was completely extinguished within 30 minutes, Scandariato said.

The cause was determined to be an overheated extension cord beneath a rug. The cord was pinched by a door jamb. The fire was accidental.

c.bessette@theday.com

READER COMMENTS

Loading comments...
Hide Comments

Stories that may interest you

Police logs - April 19, 2019

Arrests by state police and local departments around the region.


Two condemned pit bulls remain in Norwich pound since 2013 awaiting judge's ruling

Oral arguments were held Thursday in New Britain Superior Court in dog owner Sheri Speer's appeal of the destruction order.


Rabid bobcat euthanized after attacks on golfer, horse

A golfer used his club in self-defense when a bobcat "came out of nowhere" and attacked him Thursday morning at the Mohegan Sun Golf Course, a club official said.


Man arrested in 2017 in Old Lyme for fentanyl possession is sentenced to 30 months

Alcides Alba-Gomez, 29, pleaded guilty in January and was sentenced on Thursday.

TRENDING

PODCASTS