Support Local News.

We've been with you throughout the pandemic, the vaccinations and the reopening of schools, businesses and communities. There's never been more of a need for the kind of local, independent and unbiased journalism that The Day produces.
Please support our work by subscribing today.

Sex Offender Facing More Charges

A repeat sex offender who strangled a woman to death in 1980 was arraigned in New London Superior Court Monday on charges that he sexually assaulted a teenager in Groton.

Edward F. Boyle Jr., 43, of 964 North Pleasant Valley Road, Groton, was arrested Nov. 17 on charges of having several sexual encounters with a 14-year-old girl who police said is learning-disabled and lives in his neighborhood.

Boyle became friends with the girl's family, whose names were not released because the incident involves a minor, and frequently spent time at their house, according to statements given to the police.

The teenager's parents told police that the family had “been trying to be good neighbors with Edward Boyle who they felt has been open and honest with them regarding his criminal history.”

The family had Boyle over for dinner Oct. 15, according to statements from the family. They had drinks and played darts before Boyle asked the teenager's mother to walk him home at 12:30 a.m. The mother refused, but said her daughter could walk Boyle home as long as she returned immediately.

After 20 minutes, they went looking for her. The lights were off in Boyle's one-room apartment, but a window was open. The girl's sister heard Boyle say, “Someone is coming.” The sister reached through the window to turn on a light.

She said she found her sister standing near Boyle's bed in sweatpants and a tank top and Boyle sitting on the bed with his shirt off, family members told police.

The teenage girl initially said she and Boyle “hugged and kissed,” but later admitted that on several occasions from June to October they had had sex.

Boyle was charged with two counts of second-degree sexual assault, fourth-degree assault and three counts of risk of injury to a minor. He is being held on $75,000 bond.

He denied the charges to police and pleaded not guilty at his arraignment. The case was continued to Dec. 20.

Boyle was released from prison about four years ago after serving 18 years for first-degree manslaughter and two counts of first-degree sexual assault, according to public records.

In May of 1980, he strangled a 20-year-old bowling alley counterperson in Coventry while trying to rape her, the victim's brother, Timothy Scott, said.

Louise M. Scott thought she was following Boyle to a party when he took her out of her car near the Skungamaug River and killed her, Timothy Scott said. Boyle dumped the woman's body in the river, and the case went unsolved for more than two years.

While serving a six-year sentence for raping a 52-year-old woman in Manchester, Boyle confessed to murdering Louise M. Scott, her brother said. He was sentenced to 10 years in prison for manslaughter and five years for first-degree sexual assault, according to public records.

In a letter to Assistant State's Attorney John Gravalec-Pannone dated Dec. 3, Timothy Scott asked that Boyle's previous convictions not be overlooked during the trial.

“We ask – no, we demand — that Mr. Boyle's past not go unnoticed by your office and that you do everything in your power to see that the court understand his history,” he wrote. “Words cannot adequately convey the pain and anguish this vile person has inflicted on our family and the families of his other victims.”
Article UID=b7fe7f8d-b535-4e70-a2de-3607336de1ba

Hide Comments


Loading comments...
Hide Comments