Local colleges: Conn's Walsh earns All-American honors
Indianapolis - Connecticut College senior Tim Walsh earned All-American status, finishing seventh in the 100-yard backstroke at the NCAA Division III Swimming and Diving Championships.
Walsh's time was 49.55 as he led the Camels to a 20th-place finish with 42.5 points. Three of Walsh's teammates - Sam Gill, Kirk Czelewicz and Patrick McGinnis - earned honorable mention All-American status.
Gill, a sophomore, finished 10th in the 100 butterfly at 49.21 and tied for 11th in the 100 bacsktroke at 50.05. Walsh, Czelewicz, Gill and McGinnis were 14th in the 400 medley relay at 3:24.79.
• Old Lyme's Ryan Fuller doubled twice and drove in two runs as UConn completed a three-game sweep with an 8-1 win over West Virginia in the Big East Conference. Billy Ferriter homered and L.J. Mazzilli, Jon Testani and Ferriter had two hits each for UConn (10-11, 3-0).
• Massasoit Community College beat UConn-Avery Point 5-3. Matt Martinez had two hits, including a two-run homer and East Lyme's Ryan Brahm had a run-scoring single for Avery Point (10-7).
• The Conn College women's team picked up its first win of the season, beating Cal Tech 12-7 to close out its trip to California. Conn (1-4) also lost to Pomona-Pitzer 18-8 and Claremont Mudd Scripps 16-5. Kristin Lampley had seven goals against Cal Tech and Nicky Jasbon scored three against Cal Tech and had five goals against Pomona-Pitzer.
Track & field
• Conn College opened its season Saturday at the Monmouth Invitational in New Jersey. The women's sprint medley relay team of Sara Gildersleeve, Vicki Weigold, Gina Deitz and Michelle Wesley broke the school record - set in 1994 - with a time of 4:34.58.
Qualifying for the New England Div. III championships were Lianne Swanson (5000 meters) and Samantha Pevear (discus).
For the men, Colin Gallant led the way with a fifth-place finish in the 10,000 with a time of 33:22.86. He and teammate Brenner Green (also 10,000) qualified for the New England Div. III championships.
• Conn College finished seventh in an 18-team field in the Boston Dinghy Cup on the Charles River. Kevin Martland, Ben Bainbridge, Grace Medley and Katie Andril finished 13th in the A division with a score of 181 points. Atlantic Brugman and Elizabeth Wilsterman were eighth in the B division with a score of 144 points and Peter Miller and Marina Gluckman were fourth in the C division with 120 points.
Other members of the team competed in the Owen, Mosbacher and Knapp Trophy regatta at Yale. Conn was ninth out of 15 teams with 197 points. Timothy Clark, IG Schottlaender, Mike Sweeney and Benjamin Meyers were eighth in the A division with 88 points while Brendan Heussler and Step Kapinos were 11th in the B division with 109 points.
• Mitchell College finished sixth in the Clark Open on the Thames River. Skippering for Mitchell was Alex Hering with crew of Brendan Griffiths, Mike D'Amico, Jared LaFosse-Baker and Eli Smith.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES