Local roundup: ECSU softball sweeps CGA behind ex-Fitch star Cooper
Mansfield — Junior Arielle Cooper, a Fitch High School graduate, extended her hitting streak to an Eastern Connecticut State University softball program record 19 games in a doubleheader swept of Coast Guard Academy on Tuesday.
Cooper tied current assistant coach Tammy Schondelmayer's program record with a second-inning single in a 7-0 win in game one and set the mark with a triple in the first inning of a 5-4 win in game two. Schondelmayer, a former St. Bernard standout, is from New London.
During her 19-game hitting streak, Cooper is batting .476 with five home runs and 53 total bases. She had just one hit in 12 of those 19 games.
Molly Rathbun (17-1), the national earned run average leader, pitched a two-hit shutout and struck out 14 in game one.
Cooper, Rathbun and sophomore Mattie Brett of Waterford each had two hits in game two for the Warriors (27-1), who've won 26 in a row.
Sophomore Kaitlin Ward had three of Coast Guard's nine hits in the opener. Ward and freshman Kelsey Gray each drove in two runs.
• Jack Ayers shot a one-over-par 37 on the front nine at Fox Hopyard to lead Old Saybrook (174) past Hale-Ray (195) and Valley Regional (199). Kenny Dower shot a 43 and Matt Cummins a 44 for Old Saybrook (3-0).
• East Lyme's Fran Shields and Zach Kosakowski each shot 41 to share medalist honors as the Vikings beat St. Bernard 5.5-1.5 and Bacon 6-1 at Old Lyme Country Club. The Vikings are 4-2 overall, 2-0 in the ECC Large. Dylan Julian and Blake Biacamano each shot 42 for St. Bernard (2-1), a 5-2 winner over Bacon (1-2, 1-1), whlie Tyler Scheiblich shot a 44 for Bacon.
• Steve Kral and Ryan Schaffer each shot 44 at Pequot Golf Course in Stonington, but Grasso Tech was beaten by Cheney Tech 169-190 in the CSC.
• Woodstock swept Fitch 7-0 in an ECC Large match at Quinnatisset Country Club in Thompson. Medalist Ryan Willis led Woodstock with a 1-under 35. Corey Jones had a team-low 48 for the Falcons (1-3, 1-2).
• In an ECC Large match at Great Neck Country Club, Norwich Free Academy defeated New London 7-0. Chad Vincent led the Wildcats, earning medalist honors with a 40. Frankie Lee and Nick Kamireddy each had a 41 for NFA (1-0, 1-0). Anthony Nealley shot a team-low 49 for the Whalers (0-3, 0-3).
• Ledyard lost to Windham 7-0 in an ECC Medium match at the University Club in North Windham. Mitch Allen had a 48 for the Colonels (0-1, 0-1).
• Griswold's Joey Barile shot a 38 to earn medalist honors in a 5.5-1.5 win over Montville in an ECC Small match at River Ridge Golf Course. Sean Shepard (44) won his No. 2 match for the Wolverines (1-0, 1-0). Alex Rodriguez posted lone win for the Indians (0-1, 0-1), shooting a 53 at No. 5.
• Tyler Goddu (48), Bill Sullivan (43) and Matt Shea (46) won their matches, leading Waterford past Plainfield 5-2 in an ECC Medium match at Foster Country Club. Waterford is 1-1, 1-1.
• Norwich Tech lost to Windham Tech 199-214 at Skunkamaug Golf Course in Coventry. Brendan Liebal had a team-best 50 for Norwich Tech (1-3).
• Montville's Tori Radicioni shot a 41 to earn medalist honors in the Indians' 5-2 victory over Fitch on Monday at Shennecossett Golf Course in Groton. Ben Reed and Zac Meng also won the Montville while Bryan Mattison and Trey Hogsten each shot 49 to win their matches for Fitch.
• Trevor Stefanski doubled for Wheeler in a 15-1 loss to Woodstock Academy. Wheeler (0-5) scored its only run in the first inning.
• Connecticut College evened its record at 6-6 with a 6-3 win over Coast Guard (9-4). Freshman Joshua Suneby rallied for a 3-6, 6-4, 6-3 win at No. 2 singles to pace the Camels who also received singles wins from JC Cangelosi, Will Tucker and Huan Nguyen.
Senior Greg Mitchell earned a 5-7, 7-6, 6-1 win at No. 1 singles for Coast Guard. Blake Maurer won in three sets at No. 4.
• Conn College lost to Drew University 15-14 in triple overtime. Katelyn Driscoll had six goals while Izzy Marx had three and Charlotte McAuley had one for the Camels (5-9). Heidi Halsted had a goal and an assist while Lowell Abbott and Lindsay Cook also scored.
• Mitchell College finished 15th at the Worcester State Invitational at Blackstone National Golf Club. Freshman Austin Floyd led the Mariners with a 99. Salem State's Nick Zolotas was the medalist with a 6-under par 66.
MOST VIEWED MEDIA
MOST DISCUSSED STORIES